Review by redbuck

"Wow, this is what FF was like just before VII? I expected more."

Ok, so you might be wondering why I gave this game such a high score, yet at the same time, gave it such a seemingly negative Tagline. I'll let you in on a secret... -whispers- read my review... it'll tell you everything. -end whisper- Got it? Here we go!

*Gameplay* The most important part of any game, in my opinion. This time around in the Final Fantasy series, you get to control more than just four people. Mind you, not all at once in the same field, but this is the game that started everything with the player choosing their parties. One thing I don't like about it is that throughout the story, you have to develop each characters strengths on your own. Most of the game, I used the same party, so by the time I got to the final area, I had one good group of people and everyone else just sucked. So here's my warning: you may not like a character at first, but I guarantee that it'll make the game more enjoyable toward the end if you train them semi-equally. Anyway, each person has a different ability which they can use; for example, one of the characters named Sabin can use what's called a 'Blitz'. He gains more of these 'blitz' techniques as you progress through the game. They can be single-target attacks or multi-target attacks depending which one you use. In the beginning, only a singe character can use magic - this changes later in the game, but still, it's not like everyone just automatically gets magic and they're like "Oh, cool! We can use magic now!" -everyone uses Ultima and kills everything in their path-. Not quite, but you get the idea. You'll have to play the game to find out how, but I promise, it's a great experience.

*Story* The element of a RPG that ties with Gameplay for most important element. In the beginning, you find yourself watching three people: two men dressed in military uniforms and... a woman? No, I'm not saying women shouldn't be in the military, but she's not even in a uniform; just a common everyday civilian woman... or so you might think. It turns out this woman can use magic! Apparently there's something called an 'esper' that these three are looking for, but can't quite find it. Hmm... interesting... then, they decide to go back into town... attacking anyone that stands in their way, eventually coming to a cave, and so on. I won't tell you the whole thing, but I hooked your interest, right? If not, I'm sure the game will if you play it.

Hmm... Redbuck hasn't said anything negative in this entire review... what would it be? This is really irritating me now! Hehehe.

*Sound* Ah, what's a game with no sound? Well, still a game, but not quite as enjoyable. First, I'll go over the music. This has to have one of my favorite Final Fantasy soundtracks. They're quite memorable, especially the beginning theme at the start menu. It's a very menacing sound, just as the dark clouds and lightning in the background make it seem. Wonder why? Heh heh heh. }:) Sound effects? Great! It's very relaxing when you're on a beach listening to the waves crash against the shore. Dogs bark, people crash into each other, doors open, secret passages are found, and so on; it all sounds just as you'd imagine it would!

Still nothing bad, huh? Well what the heck, Redbuck...?

*Graphics*: Graphics graphics graphics. What can I say? Not much considering I don't pay very close attention to graphics, however I will say that they were good enough to let you see facial expressions on your little sprites. I'd even say that for the time this game was made, they were excellent. However, seeing as the graphics from FF VII were so much better, I expected a little more from them (I realize they were originally made for different systems; I'm just saying I thought they'd be better than they are). Sure, FFVII was blocky, but their legs moved and everything. In all honesty, I didn't know for the longest time that VII was the first FF for PlayStation, so don't take this criticism too seriously! Now that I know they were for different consoles originally, I'm very respectful of FFVI's graphics!

That's the *very* little bit more that I expected; the graphics. :D Now that you know, here's my summary... or rather, my list of pros and cons. :P

*Pros*
- Good gameplay; nice use of character variation
- Good story; it just makes you want to know more about everyone and what will happen!
- Good sound; music is very memorable, and it makes you feel like you're actually there
- graphics; a bit dated, but nevertheless, good for its time

*Rent or Buy?* I'd definitely say buy it! If you buy the anthology version (a compilation), you get the disc for both FF V and FF VI! Two great games, in my honest opinion. If you can get it from a friend, a garage/yard sale, an auction site such as ebay, or whatever else, GET IT! It's definitely worth the purchase! Also, if you decide to get it for the SNES, it was called FF III for reasons widely known to Final Fantasy fans across the United States.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/15/10

Game Release: Final Fantasy VI (JP, 03/11/99)