Review by OrdinaryTurtle

"The struggle for hope when there is none"

This game is very close to my heart as it was my first SNES RPG I ever owned. This game whirls you through many thoughts and emotions. I think one of the best things about it is it does not have a single main character, but 14 of them! (well arguably it could be either Terra or Celes).

Graphics 8/10
I'm pretty flexible when it comes to games. A game could have the worst graphics in the world but if it had an amazing story I wouldn't care about the graphics at all. The graphics in this game are amazing for SNES. My favorite town Narshe was my favorite town and it made you feel like you were in a real coal mining town at times. South Figaro made it seem like a peaceful town. Mobliz, a place where you'd want your kids to grow up in. Thamasa, a town where people keep secrets from outsiders, and many others. The only gripe I had was the world map in the 1st half was kind of bland and not that big.Once you get the airship the world map seems boring since you've been everywhere except Thamasa. But the 2nd half of the game I always got lost and still do sometimes (that is if you don't use the little map in the corner). The enemy graphics are all very good looking especially Atma Weapon. The magic graphics are to drool at. Some of the esper graphics were sort of boring but good nonetheless.

Music 10/10
Some of the best music I've heard in a game. The world map theme makes you feel like you're struggling on to go through the game. Cyan's proud theme in Doma Castle. The sad Celes' theme. Another sad theme, Gau's which makes you feel lost and abandoned. Locke's upbeat theme. The sad Coin Song theme of Edgar and Sabin. The confused theme of Strago. The innocent theme of Relm and many more. The intown music was very good, especially South Figaro's music. The music for the 2nd world map makes it feel like there is no hope left yet you still find it. The hawaiian Airship music to the slow and sad Falcon music. The battle music is good but nothing too new. The boss battle music was fantastic especially the battle with Atma Weapon (possibly the best boss music IMO).

Sound 7/10
Well I'm not gonna say much for sound but it was good nonetheless. It was about average anyway.

Gameplay 8/10
The idea taken from FFIV. Where each character has a specific job class. But I think they sort of screwed this one up. Eventually everyone gets to use magic so the only unique thing about each character is the special skill they get to use. It was good and only robbed them a little from their uniqueness in battle. Since I hardly use magic in any RPG I still thought every character was very unique in battle sense. Sure random battles can be frustrated and boring to any person playing an RPG but the encounter rate is that high. This game was also probably the last hard Final Fantasy. It wasn't too hard but some of the boss battles were hard, Atma Weapon (basically all of Floating Continet, last dungeon etc...)

Story 10/10
One of the best stories in any RPG i've played. The struggle to go on, finding hope when there is none. You start off with ''this woman...this sorceress'' who you find out to be Terra (your main character.....for awhile anyway) She is an imperial witch and she is sent to Narshe along with Vicks and Wedge (i know it's Biggs but i'm used to the SNES version) to find an esper that's been intact there for oh so many years and the people of Narshe just found it. Once finding the esper you wake up in some stranger's house and tells you to escape because the Narshe guards have found you. You escape and later rescued by Locke, the thief err.....treasure hunter, where he then takes you Figaro to meet the king and so on. The basic plot is how each of the characters is screwed by the Empire and they turn against it and join you, but the Emperor isn't the real enemy...People say that the whole game falls apart on the 2nd half of the game. I don't believe this to be true. People may not agree but I find it that the world is on the brink of destruction with some egomanical clown controlling the world at the tip of his pinky. So your hope is almost gone but to find all your friends hope is gained and found once again. I also think that Kefka had to have been the most destructive villain and the best IMO in any Final Fantasy. I won't spoil it but it is true.

Replay 10/10
I've had the game since it came out on SNES and I still play it. Finding the secret characters. Getting their most powerful weapons, armor etc...Mastering each Esper for each of the 14 characters. phew...there's a lot to do. Auction houses, Collusiem, Strago's Lores, and Gau's Skills. Probably more but I can't remember.

Overall 10/10
To conclude, Squaresoft did something with this game that can never be gained again. After this game Squaresoft has declined in the quality of Final Fantasy games. Making them about graphics and not about story and challenge.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/01/03, Updated 03/01/03