Review by Tamahome

"an awesome game? NOT!"

Afraid gear was a robot simulator made about a year ago. I was personally attracted by the cover and the FMV intro. It was very nicely done and the characters design and mecha design was very nice, so I decided to buy it. After I poped the game into my psx and finish watching the intro, I was still somewhat impressed because the beginning stage of the gameplay is to travel to different places and buy equipment for you robot. This includes armor, long range weapons, short range weapons, engine and so on. The story of the game is that there are tournaments for robots and you are one of the contestants, but that's about it for the story. After outfitting your robot, you take your robots into tournaments and fight the battles. This is where the game disappoints me. When I first bought the game, I expected the battles to be kinda like virtual on, or maybe armored core, the worst is mech warrior. But it is neither. It is a weird combat system in which you have to take steps slowly and fire your weapons, and lock on and everything. Even if you put your robot on autopilot, the battle is still so slow that it is almost impossible to kill an opponent. IF you try the manual control, your robots will just fall down a lot and overheat a lot.

Overall this is a very diappointing game and a waste of money. I wouldn't recommend this game for anyone.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99