Review by Zac Winston

"A New World War"

Command and Conquer was the very first game I ever owned for my playstation, and it's still one of my favorites. The countless hours I spent in front of the TV were some of the best I've ever spent. Whether I was plowing through the brotherhood of nods front lines with a mammoth tank, or frying the Global Defense Initiative infantry with my obelisk of light, this game never lost it's flavor. Alas, its now over scratched, over used, and broken in many pieces. Now, on to the review.

Graphics 6/10
The games only bad spot. While they were excellent for their time, they aren't much by todays standards. There are good explosion effects, cool looking vehicles, realistic fire, and the cinemas are very good. But with only about 20 frames per second, everything seems slow and jerky. Not bad, but not good either.

Audio 10/10
The first game that ever put a song into my head. This games music is unbelievable, with about 20 tracks ranging from rap to techno. The soundtrack came released with the firestorm pack for PC, and I highly suggest picking it up, as it is still one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

Plot 9/10
The plot revolves around the United States and a Terrorist group called the Brotherhood of Nod. This game comes with many biblical undertones, such as Kane and Seth being the leaders of the brotherhood of Nod. In the Bible, Kane murdered his brother Abel and was banished to the land of Nod, which was East of Eden. Seth, the third son of Adam and Eve, was never mentioned ever further in the Bible, but some Christian groups claim he went with Kane, though other groups deny it. All religion stuff aside, the game carries a deep plot that is head and shoulders above most other real time strategy games.

Gameplay 10/10
The game functions just like the PC version, with you controlling your soldiers and building by clicking on them, and then telling them whether to attack something, go somewhere, or capture a building. Some units move faster then others, and some don't move at all. Each side has different strengths and weaknesses which you must take advantage of. GDI, for example, likes to rely on brute force, While Nod likes to use stealth and sabotage. Whichever side you choose, you are evenly matched with other players.

Rent or Buy.
Buy. Unfortunately, this game is hard to find, but with enough looking you should be able to find it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/24/02, Updated 09/24/02