Review by matt86

"Is Driver 2 a really great edition to the Driver series?"

Tanner is Back!!! Just about everyone has played the first Driver and most love it to death. But how is the sequel? Will it meet the standards for Driver fans? Read on to find out.

Graphics 5/10
--------------
The graphics in Driver 2 aren't the best I’ve seen in a game but they aren't the worst either. They are a little better than the first Driver but nowhere near the quality of Gran Turismo. The cars look pretty good but could be allot more detailed. The damage effects are great though. If you hit a tree the hood of your car smashes up just the way it would if you got in your car right now and hit one. They are probably some of the best effects of any game I’ve played in a long time. The trees however are just terrible. They are flat and don't even look like plants at all. The same goes for the people. They look like they were flattened by a steam roller. But these two problems don't really effect gameplay at all and are barely noticed. I have also noticed popup that can be annoying but not a major problem.

Sound 8/10
-------------
The sound in this game is great. When you drive by Wrigley Field you can hear the fans yelling for their team. When a cop is tailing you you can hear the sirens wailing behind you. However, the vehicle engines sound just terrible. They sound more like a vacuum cleaner than a car. The sounds of a collision are great though. When you hit another car you can't help to notice the sound of the crunching metal and breaking glass.

Gameplay 8/10
-------------
The gameplay of Driver 2 is much like that of Driver. If you've played Driver you would probably notice that the missions are very similar just in different cities and order. It gets repetitive fast. There is also a little slowdown every once in a while but it really isn’t as bad as in most games.

Should I buy the game?
----------------------
Driver 2 has a few problems but overall it's a great game if you overlook them. If you get bored with the missions you can just drive around and run from the cops. I believe that this is a MUST BUY for Die Hard Driver fans but for everyone else, you might want to go out and get the original. It is a little better.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/04/01, Updated 06/06/01