Review by Dark Shadow X

"Forget Grand Theft Auto III. Driver 2 is the grandaddy of law-breakers."

Before Grand Theft Auto III came out with all it's 3-D glory, there was Driver 2. Driver 2 is THE King of driving fast, stealing cars, and breaking the law. Sure, while GTA3 might have the better cars, the better graphics, the better cities, Driver 2 puts the ''Breaking'' in ''Law-Breaking''. 'Nuff said about that.

Now, don't get me wrong, the graphics are nice. Sure, they're not PS2-worthy, but maybe that's because they're PS1 graphics, and some of the best at that. My only complaint is that there is an occasional choppiness and slow-down in the game, as there is a low framerate that can make or break your run. Solid, though.

Not really tunes that make you want to ram somebody through a wall as you fly over the hill running from the cops, but nice music for just cruising. Maybe some heavy metal would be a nice touch for the future games.

Addictive. Driver 2 is hazardous to your health. Tell me that hijacking cars, flying off jumps, and just being the badass that you always wanted to be isn't worth staying up all night for? There's one word to describe Driver 2's gameplay:

''Suh-weeeeet''

Controls: 8/10

Controls are pretty solid, and you're able to control your car quite nicely...my only question is whether they ran out of button configurations, because getting out of your car is sometimes hard, since you have to press Up and Triangle, especially when you're about to wreck your fabulous car. Still, they're not bad.

Difficulty: 9/10

This IS a tough game. Some of the missions are impossible. I'm at the 3rd from the last mission, and I can't beat it. The computer drives totally unrealistic, dodging all traffic and making the turns as perfect as anyone wishes they could do. The cops aren't too hard, except on the harder difficulty levels. Still, you'll be spending some time with this game, but being able to steal a new car (thus getting rid of all damage and felony) surely helps. Except of course when you're pinned up against the wall by three cops and you go flying and land on your backside. Or maybe that's just me. ^_~

Overall Score: 9/10

Driver 2 is a must-have for anyone who only has a PS1. Hell, it's even a must-have for anyone who has a PS2! I've got a PS2, yet it was very easy for me to go and plop down $20 for this awesome game. So when you're browsing stores, saying ''Man, Grand Theft Auto looks so sweet!'', remember what the grandaddy of all driving games is. And that can be simply put as: ''Amazing''

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/26/02, Updated 01/26/02