Review by Mister_T

"How can you not love this game?"

I have had Driver 2 for over a year or two now and I still play it all the time. Why you ask? BECAUSE IT ROCKS THE WORLD OF GAMING!!!! Contrary to other reviews, this game is actually really good, if you are willing to put up with some minor flaws....

Story 9/10
Caine, a US gangster who's money man, Pink Lenny, just ran out on him is mad. Why? Because Pink Lenny went and joined forces with his arch rival, Vasquez. But does Vasquez really exist? What is it Lenny knows? Who is the wheelman? Wait a minute....we already know the answer to that question....YOU are the wheelman. Tanner is your name and your trusty side-kick Jones is there to help you, too. Hang on to your seats, ladies and gentlemen. This is going to be one rough ride.

Controls 9/10

Exactly the same as the original Driver and for those of you that have that game, you know the controls are good. Except now, you can get out of your car and do some major car-jacking. Doesn't seem like a big deal now, but back in 2000, it was a breakthrough. Sure GTA had already done it, but they were still in top down view back then and Driver 2 offered a 3D environment. HA! Take that Rockstar.

Music 8/10

Some alright music throughout this game. It even changes when you are getting chased by a cop. Wowsa. And sometimes there is music from passing cars. I don't know if that's how Reflections had planned it, but that's how it happened. Each city has a different song for when you are just driving around or when you are getting chased. Good stuff.

Undercover mode 10/10

This game has some pretty cool missions. Not that I can reveal any, but a lot of them are very cool. Some are extremely difficult and will have you wishing you hadn't spent your 20 bucks on it, but trudge on soldier and reap the great rewards at the end.

Difficulty 10/10

This game has some extremely hard missions as well as some easy ones, but the hard outweigh the easy. After you beat the game you can go back and play the missions you thought were hard and now find that with your increased skill the missions were in reality quite simple. This game is a bit of a challenge, so don't buy it unless you are prepared to spend some intimate time with it.

Replay value 10/10

This game has so much replay value its preposterous. You can replay each and every mission that you have defeated, and even some of the glitches can make for interesting stocking stuffers. There are secret cars and secret areas and even just things in the background that you won't see without looking really hard make this game VERY enjoyable. I still play it all the time, a couple years later.

Overall 10/10

This game is so great it deserves an 11/10, but we can't do that. Sure there are some annoying glitches, but that's all just part of the fun, right? A truly wonderful game.

Rent or Buy?

Buy. There are still copies at stores 3 years later, with the sequel due out this fall (no it didn't come out in 2002 like it says in the game). But if you are still unsure as to whether or not you should buy this game, rent it first. I guess this game isn't for everyone.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/15/03, Updated 02/15/03