Review by DarkRider X

"A worthy follow-up to its classic predecessor"

Wild Arms 2 is the sequel to one of the most-loved of all Playstation RPGs, Wild Arms. Arms 2 shares many similarities to its predecessor, but is different enough to warrant playing.

Graphics - 8/10

The graphics are done quite well on this game. Wild Arms 2 has lost the super-deformed look that the first one had, going instead for a slightly more realistic look, but not to the same degree that Final Fantasy 8 did. This might not sit well with fans of the original, but I believe that the change won't cause you to hate this game. The only reason that I didn't give a higher score for the graphics is that I felt that the spell effects were far from spectacular.

Music - 9/10

The music on this game is great! In retrospect, I can't remember a really bad piece of music in the whole game. There are lots of good solid pieces of music and quite a few
excellent pieces (be sure to check out the Lord Blazer transformation music).

Control - 8/10

If you push up, you go up. That's really all the control that you need in an RPG, isn't it?

Story - 8/10

This, in my opinion, is the weakest part of the entire game. While the story is far from unbearable, it comes up short when compared to the first Wild Arms. A terrorist group named Odessa starts to cause trouble in Filgaia and it's up to the members of ARMS to save the people. While things do get more complicated later, it just doesn't hold up to the Metal Demons of the first one.

Difficulty

I am going to split this into two different categories:

Battle Difficulty - 7/10

The fights on Wild Arms are far from difficult due to the magic system. Do you remember the Force system from the first one? It has more of a role on this one. When Force reaches the appropriate level, you can cast spells. To sum up, the Force has replaced MP. If you run out, all that you have to do is attack an enemy or get hit and you will be ready to go again. This combined with the main character's near-godlike innate power makes fights much more easy than they should be.

Puzzle Difficulty - 10/10

Without doubt, the puzzles are the most difficult part of the game. The first game's puzzles were slightly tougher, but not enough so to warrant lowering the score. With six characters that each have three tools to use, you can rest assured that this game has some very tricky, diverse brain twisters. Keep this in mind, though: the puzzles aren't as hard as the puzzles in the first Alundra. Don't let the 10 fool you!

Overall - 9/10

You may be thinking to yourself, ''Should I buy this game now or wait until it hits the bargain bin?'' I say BUY! Although it does have its fair share of weaknesses (especially in terms of the difficulty of battles) it is a solid game and is worth playing even if you never played the first one. Buy this game and have as much fun with it as I did!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/21/00, Updated 01/25/01