Review by oldskoole92

"Who let the dogs out? Cause' they really should've just kept them in..."

This is my first review for GameFaqs, and hopefully not my last. I played quite a few Disney licensed video games during my childhood, and whether it was my love for the films they were based upon (or just plain nostalgia), I have fond memories of them. Some were great (i.e. The Lion King for SNES), some were just okay (i.e. A Bug's Life and Tarzan for PSX), but I played the hell out of all of them. I had always wanted to play 102 Dalmatians for the PSX. I saw the trailer for it online when I was younger, and it looked awesome. Puppies being chased by dogcatchers, fun platforming ala Spyro the Dragon. It seemed like the perfect game for my 9-year-old self. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to play it. 10 years later, I found this game for cheap and decided to give it a go. Here's my thoughts on 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue for the PSX.

STORY: 3.5/10 - The story is pretty terrible. Cruella de Vil wants to obtain all 102 puppies so she can make clothing out of them or something. Apparently owning some sort of diabolical toy factory, she orders a bunch of evil toys to kidnap the puppies in crates and deliver them to her mansion. The voice acting is atrocious. A very young Frankie Muniz (of Malcolm in the Middle fame) does a terrible job of voicing Domino, the playable boy dalmatian. His one-liners are awful, for instance, a bumbling henchman is icefishing, and Domino pushes him in the frozen lake. The man then surfaces in a giant icecube, and Domino then says: "Jasper. What a cool dude." and then laughs obnoxiously. A bumbling frenchman, named LePelt, shows up twice in the game. He is stupid and comes off kind of racist. At one point, while trapped in a log he exclaims: "I zink I found a truffle..." Wow... In the beginning of almost every level, a crappy animal character will explain your objectives, such as Manny the jazz-loving Mole, and Priscilla the Manically-Depressed Pig.

SOUND: 2.0/10 - It's bad. Really bad. The music is tolerable at best, and extremely grating at worst. The same cheery tune drones on over and over again. Every once in a while a new melody will appear, but the music is just really poor. As I said before, the voice-acting is unforgivable. Cruella's scientist sidekick is annoying as all hell. He has a voice that sounds like nails on a chalkboard. But worst of all, the quick-roll move, a sort of spindash attack that is used often in the game, makes this awful whirring noise that repeats itself every time you use the attack. And since your character walks like molasses, your forced to use this annoying sounding move anytime you want to go somewhere. It's terrible.

CONTROLS: 6.5/10 - The controls are okay and they do what you want them to do for the most part. The platforming can be a pain sometimes, though. The camera can be your enemy when you have a long platorming stretch ahead of you, forcing you to sometimes restart the level. Overall, though, the controls aren't that bad. Though they aren't that good either.

GRAPHICS: 5.5/10 - This game's graphics are glitchy, very glitchy. Textures are constantly popping, characters are constantly walking through things or each other. The character animations aren't the best, and too many of the levels are bland and boring. The graphics aren't terrible, however. Just a little below-average. Better looking than A Bug's Life, but doesn't hold up to the visuals of games like Spyro the Dragon, which came before it.

GAMEPLAY: 6.0/10 - Average, in the truest sense of the word. The platforming is uninspired and boring, the puzzles are unimaginitive and completely unchallenging, and the fetch quests are unbearable. It's not a broken game, but it's not really fun anyways. There's 4 boss fights in the game, all of which are against Cruella. The first 3 are laughably easy, catapulting pumpkins, watermelons, and tomatoes at Cruella. The 4th boss fight, the last level in the game is actually surprisingly fun and challenging. You shoot Cruella and her cronies with a laser cannon, and it brings back memories of the original Crash Bandicoot games. A very Neo Cortex vibe. The real fun comes with the minigames that unlock when you beat the game. Minigolf is decent, and the courses depict the different levels in the game such as the Toy Factory, the Mansion, and the Farm. The rest are okay, but minigolf is the best of them. Still, they don't make the game really worth playing through. The game is surprisingly lengthy, however. It took me about 8-9 hours to finish the game, but this hurts the game even more. I'd rather play 3 hours of a boring game than endure 9 hours of it. Playable, but there's much better out there.

OVERALL: 5.0/10 - I just can't warrant paying money for this game. It's a lazy, rushed tie-in to a crappy movie. This might be okay for children between the ages of 6-10, but I'd steer clear otherwise. Besides, there's plenty of better games for kids to play on the PSX than this lame game. Spyro the Dragon is a phenomenal game that plays alot like this, but is MUCH better, and even the Crash Bandicoot games are worth a shot. I say skip this. It's cheap, by-the-numbers, and boring, and not worth your time, or your kid's for that matter.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 06/27/11

Game Release: Disney's 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue (US, 11/08/00)