Review by meepcheese

"you've only actually found two dragons, but they hatched 150 times, so that means you have 150 dragons. :D"

Spyro was my first game, so naturally, I've come to think of him as 'my' dragon. Obviously he's not, but you can't blame a guy for having dreams.

So seeing 'my' dragon have three absolutely perfect games (well, I /would/ say that, he's my dragon. Okay, that's going to get old quick...) made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Unfortunately, this game ended the wonderful and amazing legacy that is Spyro. I think in the newer games he /might/ still be purple, but that might not be tough enough for those corporate losers who want to ruin my dragon..aw, crap, I did it again.

There's nothing spectacular about Spyro, nothing different from the first two games, anyway. I mean, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! introduced a whole load of new abilities and features (for instance, water is no longer a tar pit in disguise. You can actually swim in it. *shock*) but I guess that was enough new features for Spyro, because this one doesn't have any new features. Guess they saved all the guys in charge of creating new moves for the new characters. Which makes sense, I suppose.

Yeah, so there's a bunch of new characters. Which I guess you could have figured out just by looking at the box, unless your cat decided she wanted it and dragged it off to Kitty Hell. Anyway, there's a bunch of new characters that I won't elaborate on, because everyone else already did, and I'm sure you'll find my opinion in someone elses review. I don't know which one though.

I hate how the eggs work. I dunno if it's just me, but I always would have to walk around an egg about twenty times before the stupid thing would hatch, and then I'd just get a dragon that would look identical to a dragon that I already hatched, and even does the same dance. It's like insomniac's way of saying, "look, you're a total failure. You've only actually found two dragons, you just keep hatching those same two over and over again. But since you're stupid, we don't expect you to notice that." The whole naming thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. How come Spyro has a cool name, but all the others have really, REALLY common names (it's like they went to those census dudes and said "hey, what are the 150 most common names in the world? We're making a video game and want really common names for our dragons, just to be different. :D") like Jenny, and Connor, and I think there was even a Bob in there.

The fairies are completely not helpful. After I figure something out, there'll be a fairy at the end of the room or field or whatever, and /then/ tell me how to do what I just did. I mean really...why weren't you at the other end of the room, telling me how to do that before I lost all my lives?! Now I have to go murder 100 more frogs. I hope your happy. Because the frogs aren't.

Moneybags is a complete waste of my time. The concept of Moneybags is to create a challenge for you to find enough gems to pay him, but usually he asks for an amount that you should have twice the amount of. So, Moneybags is there just to deflate your ego and make sure you don't get too excited over that really high gem count.

The little thieves are still in the game, of course. And they still say "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!" and then laugh and run away. Only this time, the eggs aren't completely pointless, you actually need eggs to finish the game. In Spyro the Dragon, you usually said to yourself "pfft, I don't need those stupid eggs, they can go ahead and make an omelette out of those eggs that look like pink robin eggs and a dragon couldn't fit inside even if he tried. However, if he's got gems, then I'll kick the living crap out of him." See, the game teaches morals--money before someone elses life. I love what video games teach us.

There's a boss battle between each world. I mean to say that once you get through all the levels in a home world, then you have to defeat an uber evil creature before you can get to the next home world. But never fear, one of the new characters is in each battle to guide you with...well, not a whole lot. What would have been really helpful if they programmed the stupid airplanes /they/ gave to you to go RIGHT to the homeworld, not make a pit stop in a conviniently placed arena surrounded by lava/acid/tar pits/water disguised as tar pits/more lava/etc. and with a large, very angry minion of the sorceress waiting in the middle with orders somewhere along the lines of "eat purple dragon".

Despite all it's flaws, Spyro: Year of the Dragon is a whole load of fun. Like barrels of monkeys, only their little pointy hands don't poke you in the eye and it doesn't taste like plastic and the fat kid who wedged all the monkeys up his butt just to see if they'd fit. Yeah...and besides, it's a '90s game, what do you expect?

...my dragon. XD

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/02/08

Game Release: Spyro: Year of the Dragon (US, 10/23/00)