Review by TailsTheFox2002

"Possibly the best Spyro game ever"

My brother was once obsessed with Spyro and has every Spyro game ever made, and is planning to get Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly and Spyro: Season of Flame. With my brother playing this Spyro games, I decided to try them out too. Spyro: Year of the Dragon was probably the best, so I'll review it. Spyro: Year of the Dragon has some pretty cool features allowing you to control characters other than Spyro, such as Sheila the Kangaroo, and Agent 9 the Monkey. Okay, I hope you enjoy my review.

This game is a very fun and addictive game, especially getting to play as the yeti character, and playing in places where Spyro has ice breath. I like pulling off funny stunts using Spyro with ice breath. I also enjoy the skateboarding challenges, which I think was a pretty fun addition to the game, even before, when I tried a challenge out in a demo that was included with the second Spyro game, and you needed a cheat code to unlock. [cough cough]

This game has a pretty good story. Spyro meets Bianca, a sorceress working for the Queen of Rhynocs, who is kidnapping dragon eggs to use for her evil ways. She has also locked up characters that tried to stop her in any way, like Sheila and Agent 9. Funny additions to the game include Hunter falling in love with Bianca, the characters you unlock beating Moneybags up, insulting Moneybags when he talks to you ('No, your haiku stinks.'), and other things.

Definately better than the original Spyro, and a step ahead of Spyro 2. I like using cheat codes (cough cough) to change the color of Spyro, if I don't feel like playing as a *purple* dragon. I also like how Hunter and Bianca have definately been improved, and Sheila and the yeti character have good graphics as well.

Sound/Music: 6/10
Nothing too special or important. Spyro, Spyro 2, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon have all basically had the same level of music, so I can't say that the same sort of music didn't get a little dull after a while. So dull that I didn't listen to it anymore. It's not so bad it's annoying, just a little boring.

Replayability: 5/10
It's not as much fun when you play the second time around because you know everything that's going to happen. But hey, you get to watch funny scenes again, beat your records on skateboarding, and other cool things. Still, it just isn't as fun after you know everything that's going to happen in the game. Oh well. =P

Buy/Rent: Rent, then Buy
You should rent the game first to see if you like it, and then put a save file on your Memory Card. If you do like it, then you should go out and buy it, since unless you're non-stop playing, it isn't too easy to complete the game during a rental period. You can get halfway through the game in four days though (my brother did it with about 3 hours of playing each day, and sometimes he was a *little* sidetracked).

Overall: 7/10 - Hey, this is a pretty good game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/17/02, Updated 10/17/02