Review by Crimson Aurora

"Another kick-ass sequel."

Introduction -
Back again with another review is R. Miller, and today I will be reviewing the haul ass game known to the world as Spyro Year Of The Dragon! This game is the sweet sequel to Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage and Spyro The Dragon. It has 5 playable characters including: Spyro (of course), Sheila (The hopping Kangaroo), Sargent Bird (Penguin with attidude), Bentley (Yeti with a club. 'nuff said.), and Agent 9 (Lab monkey with a gun, what else could you ask for?).

Gameplay 10/10
The best gameplay I've seen in awhile, Spyro's gameplay is still the same, and then there are the four other characters each with their own individual style of gameplay. Sheila can jump and crush things, Sgt. Bird can fly and has a cannon on his shoulder (very kick-ass), Bentley can smash things with his huge club and his brute strength, Agent 9 can shoot things.

Story 9/10
The evil Sorceress starts kidnapping dragon eggs and it's up to Spryo to stop her. Hunter, Moneybags, the Professor, and Zoe make a return in this game, along with a new character, Bianca. Bianca is the sorceress' apprentice but later she becomes one of the good guys.

Graphics/Sound 8/10
Graphics are still pretty mediocre, but it's the Play station 1 what can you expect before you exceed the limits? The music and sounds are still good, this time aound the music is still perfectly matched to a stage. The graphics seem a bit better once again than Spyro 2 and Spyro 1.

Play Time/Replayability 9/10
The game takes awhile to complete, I'd say about 35 hours, perfect for a platformer game. The game has excellent replay value because there's so much to do, the worlds are vast and have excellent enviroments, the side characters are interesting and the boss battles are superb.

The Good:
The 5 playable characters.
Bentley and Sargent Bird (So awesome I had to list themn a second time)
Bianca...she's hot. *drool*

The Bad:
There is absolutely nothing bad about this game, everything a Spyro fan would want, and everything a platformer should need.
And the graphics are still mediocre at best, but they are still awesome for PS1 standards.

The Final Recommendation:
...Buy It. NOW!
If you like Platformers, you'll love this game. If you like Spyro games, you'll love this game. If you like both Spyro and Platformer games, you'll be in absolute gaming bliss. I suggest you rent it before you make a complete decision though just to make sure you'll enjoy the game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/10/03, Updated 06/10/03