Review by albrowne

"Would you like to play a game?"

Crash Bash is yet another 'Mini Game' party game. It's a game ideal for parties yet plain lousy when you go solo. It features several mini-games when beginning, however playing the 'Adventure' mode (A mode you can play on your own or two players) you can unlock more. This is a good game in general, but it undoubtedly does have it’s flaws. Read on to find out why.

The graphics are very good for an old PS1 game, they are almost on par with N64 graphics! The character models are taken out of one of the later 'Crash Bandicoot' games, although, they have been cleaned up a bit. There are some nice backgrounds, but the action in-game will keep you busy, so you wont really notice it. There's not really much to say about the graphics apart from the fact that they function and suit the game well.

The music is mainly techno for the Cortex-future type levels and the obvious Crash Bandicoot theme music and other similar tracks. The sound effects are quite annoying, especially in the mini-game in which you bounce small pinballs in the other players goals in that magnet ship (The name temporary escapes me). Lot's of repeated sounds, but you can always turn the volume down and listen to a CD like I do.

The controls are easy to pick up and play, like an arcade game, as all party games should be, there being only a few buttons used in each mini-game. Mainly just the Square, X and the direction buttons are used.

Since it’s hard to judge all the mini-games separately, I think I shall spilt gameplay section up, reviewing each starting game separately. (Remember that there are lots more games to unlock and play)

Polar Push: In this fun mini-game, you must ride those much liked polar-bears from Crash 2, pitting them against each other in an icy arena. But, there not fighting! If you've ever played the mini-game 'Bumper Balls' in Mario Party, you'll know how to play this game. Basically you ride Polar Bears in order to push the enemies of the icy platform into the freezing Artic water.

Ballistix: I believe I have mentioned this mini-game before. In this game you must use futuristic hover cars to bounce the pinballs that come flooding into the battle-field into enemy goals. This is also one of my favourites, it is more complex as it seems as there are other features then move left and right. You can also bounce the balls away with a force field or use a magnetic force to hold multiple pinballs then shoot them all at once.

Pogo Pandemonium: I hate this mini-game! In this one you must bounce on pogo sticks to paint the floor. Really. Once you've painted the floor you must get a crate to remove the paint and get points before your enemies paint over your paint. Tedious.

Crate Crush: A melee free-for-all. In this game you must deplete your foe's energy by throw TNT and normal crates at them. It's a decent game, but it's no selling point.

There are plenty of games to unlock and it's very fun with friends, so the replay value is high with friends however it’s not really a good game to play alone. This is a good game to bring to a party, however, so it’s a good buy and a nice addition to your PlayStation 1 collection. I picked this game up for £10 second hand and I enjoyed it. I'd say buy it, but don't pay more than £15 for it.

Controls: 10/10