Review by corona flare

"A game for children"

This game is basically made for the younger audience. It becomes readily apparent even as you first turn your Play Station on. I gave this game a 7 because children seem to enjoy it. I really don't know why I bought this game...

Gameplay: I found Rayman to be easy. Then there will be a tricky spot. Then it is easy. Then there will be another tricky spot. It was like that for the whole game, which is because it is aimed at children. The later levels do get kind of hard, though. The control is set up pretty good, and it is fairly easy to get used to. As you progress through the game, Rayman will learn special moves to help him in his quest. Because you learn them one at a time, you get pretty good at using the new move before you learn the next. There are quite a few levels in this game. In order to get a 100%, you have to find all six electoon cages in each level. This wouldn't be too bad if you could get all of the cages the first time you get to the level. But you need some of Rayman's special moves to get to some of them. So every time you learn a new move, you have to go back to all of the levels you already beat so you can get the cages that you missed. The game is like playing a cartoon. I am sure that appeals to some of you, huh?

Story: Not much here. The electoons, which apparently keep the world on order, have been scattered all over the world by some bad guy-type-person. Then animals started mutating or something, and they captured as many electoons as they could. It is up to Rayman to go save the electoons.

Graphics: The graphics in this game are really bright colored and very cartooney. It almost seems like a game aimed at children...

Sound: The sound is like something that you would hear on cartoons. You know, like splats and squishes and the like. The game boasts cd quality music, but who would really buy a cd like that?

Replayability: I barely managed to make myself beat this game once, let alone playing it again! Well, I suppose that the younger audience will play it for a while, which is what Ubi Soft had in mind when they made this game.

Buy/Rent?: If you are a child, or have a child, I recommend that you buy this game. You can get it for about $15 at your local Wal-Mart or whatever you have. If you are above the age of 12, I suggest that you rent it first.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/01, Updated 07/15/01