Question from Ben_Farnsworth

Why won't my disks spin?

I've had my PSone since about 2003 and played it pretty sparingly, and it's not recognizing any of my games since like yesterday. I've worn out three Playstations but they all got all beat up first, this one looks fine, and it worked perfectly with no issues ever up until like a week ago, but when I start it up it brings me to the Memory Card/CD Player screen, which is usually frozen, and the disc is just chilling, not spinning. I don't know if this is common with PSones but my disc door sticks when you open it, like the button won't come back up. I'm hoping it's something to do with that? I just can't believe it would go from fine to dead instantly with no warning.

ApolloCreed answered:

This can happen. The problem could lie in one of two areas. It could be a motor malfunction or a laser malfunction. A good way to find out which, especially if it just started happening, is to put your game in, turn the Playstation on it's side and power it on. If the game loads then it's the motor that needs repair... You can try to play your games like this but it's supposed to be more of a diagnostic measure than a repair, so your games will take forever to load and ultimately freeze. Without repair this trick will cease to work after awhile.

If the game doesn't load on it's side either, then the laser may need to be replaced.
2 0

Answers

Marko_Nemesis answered:

I doubt that can be this, but are you sure if the game your trying to play is the same version as your Ps? Like Pal-Ntsc, etc.

If not, maybe the laser area is damaged.

Cheers
0 0

Akira_123 answered:

It might be that problem. If the door sticks when you open it, then that might be the reason why your discs may not be spinning. You see, there's a safety interlock switch that's not being pressed down on, and I think that it might be the door that's causing that problem. You can to open it up and try to fix it, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're leery of doing such a thing. You may make the problem worse. My suggestion here is to take it to an Authorized Sony Dealer and have them take a look at it, if not, then go out and buy a new one, if you can find one, because the PSOne's are no longer being manufactured. Good luck!
0 0

shinomori_kyo answered:

the spinner piece might need to be replaced. I had to do that to a ps1 once. (its the piece where the disc snaps onto.)
0 0

shinomori_kyo answered:

Or just smack the tray back down. mine sucks like that. (putting a book on top of it might help too, my old ps2 slim has that problem every so often.)
0 0

Spike answered:

Yeah, you deffinitely have a problem there. This may not seem like much of an answer(or at least not the kind of answer that you were hoping for), but my advice would be to either call up Sony and get it repaired, or go out and buy a slim PS2. Personally, I would recommend getting it fixed since they don't make PSOne's anymore, and since it will be much cheaper to do so. You can find Sony's customer service number in the back of any Sony published games instruction booklet. Whatever you do, don't try to fix it yourself unless you know what you're doing! You could end up making it worse and have to pay more to get it fixed.
0 0

Ps1 disc questions? Answered pursuit_master
how can I load ps1 saving date on ps3 ? Unanswered destiny_666
Why is my memory card not working? Answered bendringus
Help identify a side scrolling cowboy game for PS1? Unanswered Johnson_4267
Region Locked? Answered Jakealbe