Review by Shady

"An amazing system"

The Sony Playstation is Sony’s first step into the ever popular video game market. Millions of Playstations have been sold throughout the world, and it seems like just about everyone has one. Are you one of those people that doesn’t have a PSX (as some gamers call it)? If you are, then you will definitely want to check out this review to see if you want one or not. Let’s continue..

GRAPHICS 9/10

The Playstation features the best graphics for a 32 bit system, better than the rest of its competition. Sure, the graphics may not compare to the Sega Dreamcast or Nintendo 64, but who cares? As long as the games are good, then there is nothing to worry about. If you’ve ever played Metal Gear Solid, then you know what the Playstation’s graphical abilities are. Metal Gear Solid is just a beautiful game. There are other beautiful games, too, but it would take up too much space to list them all, so I won’t.

HARDWARE/PERIPHERALS 10/10

If you are looking for cool peripherals and hardware for the Playstation, then you should have little trouble finding some. The standard Playstation dual shock controller is the best controller in the business right now, in my opinion. I just love it! Besides the dual shock controller, there is several others. Some of them have dual shock capabilities while others do not. There is quite the variety out there.

Are you wondering how to save a game on the Playstation? Do the games save right onto the CD? Of course not. There are memory cards, so you save onto those instead. You can get a 15 block memory card for around $15, and there are special bigger memory cards that hold much more memory, but those tend to crash more often. If you are going to get a memory card, make it a Sony one because it is the least likeliest to crash. They still might, but it is not as big of a chance as third party memory cards.

Okay, now you know about memory cards and controllers, but what else is there for peripherals? Well, there is plenty of more stuff. There is the Japanese PocketsStation, the Dex Drive, steering wheels, light guns, mouses, and more that I can’t think of right now. The PocketStation was only released in Japan, so it is not available here in the United States. The Dex Drive is a cool idea that allows you to trade game saves on the internet. I’m sure you know what steering wheels, light guns, and mouses (mice) are, so I won’t explain them.

SOUND 10/10

The Playstation has the best sound of any current video game system here in the United States. It uses CDs instead of the cartridges that have been made popular by Nintendo. In my opinion, CDs are much better than cartridges because of better sound and better videos. There are some drawbacks to having CDs, though. You don’t want to scratch them up because then you won’t be able to play them. Also, CDs break much easier than cartridges. Besides those flaws, though, the Playstation has terrific sound. It can play audio CDs in the system, too.

GAME LIBRARY 10/10

The Playstation has something for everyone, in terms of games. You will find RPGs, sports, action/adventure, shooters, puzzles, 3D platforms, 2D games, you name it and the PSX probably has something of that genre. Let’s take a look at some of the best games at each genre, shall we?

RPG - Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Xenogears, plus countless others!

Sports - NBA Live 2000, Madden NFL 2000, NHL Faceoff 2000, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater

Action/Adventure - Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, Syphon Filter 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Shooting - Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, Quake II, Doom

Puzzles - The Next Tetris, Mr. Driller, Irritating Stick :)

3D Platforms - Any Crash Bandicoot game, Rayman 2, Spyro 2, Ape Escape

Survival Horror - Dino Crisis, any Resident Evil game, Silent Hill

Fighting - Street Fighter Alpha, Bloody Roar 2, Tekken 2, Tekken 3

Racing - Any Need for Speed game, Ridge Racer 4, Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo 2

Wrestling - WWF Warzone, WWF Attitude, WWF Smackdown

2D Games - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, some Street Fighters

As you can tell, there are many games to choose from for the Playstation. Including overseas, there are thousands of games.

OTHER STUFF

The PSX uses CDs instead of cartridges like the Nintendo 64. That means great sound quality, but that also means long load times. It’s weird because some games have long load times while others have it rather short. I personally can’t stand long load times unless the game is excellent.

WHAT’S HOT?

- Loads of games to choose from
- Top notch sound
- Wide selection of games
- Great controller, the best in all systems so far
- Cheap games
- Great video quality

WHAT’S NOT?

- Loading times
- Lots of bad games
- People may wait for the Playstation 2

FINAL ANALYSIS:

In case you cannot tell, the Playstation is my favorite video game system. Whether it is the wide selection of games, the great graphics, the great sound, or all three; it is an amazing system. Get one if you have the chance! Overall, the Sony Playstation gets a 10 out of 10 from me, Shady. Booyah.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/14/00, Updated 07/14/00