Question from badassauron

My Screen is Frozen!! Please Help!!!?

Lately, I've been playing FFX and have come across an old problem. The game gets to a certain scene and freezes. For example, after Tidus and Auron fight Sinspawn-Ammes, they fight another battle that includes a tanker that can be attacked and then the bridge collapses, and there is a cutscene where Tidus runs and jumps off the bridge and grabs the ledge.... then the screen freezes. The animation of Tidus breathing is still active. This has happened 3 times recently (within the past 4 days) and once before, a long time ago, when I had another PS2 system and another copy of the game. In that instance it froze at the Luca tournament after Mika finished his speech and right before the scene where the sphere pool was being filled with water. The game itself did not freeze because Mika was shown as "breathing". I've already cleaned my disk and the PS2 tray. I don't know what else to do. Could someone help me out?? Thank you.

From: ROTU13 6 years ago

SPOILERS! That happened to me once on the airship. It kept freezing during the cutscene where everyone was on the airship and cid told brother to blow up home. Then after the horribly freezing cutscene they sung that fayth song and then it showed Cid looking out the windscreen and Brother driving. They were still both breathing and nothing was happening. I know that's not supposed to happen because I have won the game completely 7 times. So I checked the disk and it was as scratched as hell. That also has happened to my Kingdom Hearts 2, but anyway, if your FFX is too scratched then you can just go down to your local video rental place and they might be able to resurface the game. It usually costs $5-10. That might help. If not, it might just be your PS2. If it is and all else fails, just save up $150-200 and buy a new PS2.

Have you tried cleaning the fan in the back of the PS2? Other than that all I can say is keep trying or borrow/rent FFX to get past the scene. I had troubles but they went away (kinda weird)