Review by wolverinefan

"Welcome to the next generation of Final Fantasy"

Story
Tidus is an up and coming Blitzball player but when his home town is attacked by something called Sin, he gets transported to Spira where he meets a young girl on a quest to stop Sin and bring peace to her world but what will be the price? The story is excellent and contains a few interesting plot twists, some predictable, some not so predictable. Overall, this was one of the better stories and I thought the love story was handled well. I give story a 9/10

Control
Control during the min game is simple and fluid. In battle it's all menu based and easy. Now, when playing Blitzball, things tend to get worse. The control just feels horrible when playing Blitzball. I give control a 8/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
Final Fantasy X is the first Final Fantasy to feature voice acting and it has it's ups and downs. I for one am a huge fan of a couple of the guys who lend their voices to this game. Sadly, it all isn't good. Every once in awhile we get a scene like the classic "Haha" scene where it's so bad and horrible that it's funny. If you don't laugh at that acting then something must be wrong with you. The sound effects are good. The music is a huge plus. I liked it enough to buy the soundtrack which is great. One of my favorite Final Fantasy soundtracks! I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 8/10

Game play
Every time a new Final Fantasy game comes out they tweak the game play a little. This time they did a drastic change. Battles are still random and you can only have a certain amount of character battling at once but you can switch characters on the fly. It uses a turn but oh well. Everything is turn based so the enemy waits for you to chose an action. I had no problem with this but others might. My favorite thing is that each character is great against certain types of monsters while crappy against others. A good example is Wakka is great against flying monsters while Auron is great against enemies with hard bodies. You no longer gain levels the same way. You collect spheres and you use them to move around the board and get new stat ups, spell and skills. This gives you a decent amount of control of how to make your characters. Want Auron to be a magic user and a strong fighter? It's possible! Of course if you max out the board, all the characters basically end up the same. Oh, there isn't a word ma any more, you basically chose a spot on the map and you go there but the areas are large. There isn't a card game to be found here but you get Blitzball, the most complex mini game I've ever played. I don't know how to explain this game, it plays like a turn based soccer/football game underwater and your players level up and have attacks. It's kinda fun once you figure out how to play it. I give game play a 8/10

Replay Value
The game is the same length as the other Final Fantasy games. Plenty of side quests that will kept you busy for hours. Some side quests can be messed up and not able to ever be completed unless you restart you game. I give replay value a 6/10

Final Score
I give Final Fantasy X a 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/15/07

Game Release: Final Fantasy X (US, 12/17/01)