Review by J_A_C_O_B

"My Favorite Video Game of All Time."

INTRO
You start the game as Tidus(original name, you can name him whatever you want), a young(mid- 20s?) blitzball player living in Zanarkand. As you continue through the story, you meet Yuna, a high summoner, and her guardians. Tidus becomes her guardian and together you all venture throughout Spira on a quest to defeat Sin, the main boss in the game, in hopes of creating another Calm, a period of time without Sin. As I am reviewing this game it is about 7 years old, so unless you are just a die-hard Final Fantasy fanatic, then you probably won't be reading this. But even 7 years later, it still lingers in most people's minds.

GAMEPLAY
Personally I love the gameplay, although some people will disagree. You take turns battling fiends scattered throughout Spira. You have a party of 3 people who can attack in a fight, but you can switch out any of the other 4 characters while in battle. It is kind of slow, but it involves more strategy than waiting for a bar to charge, such as in Final Fantasy 12. Tis is the only reason I gave Final Fantasy X a 9 out of 10 rating. Lulu, the mage, has plenty of magic attacks to choose from, while Auron is more of a physical attack person. So just by reading this you can tell that there is a lot of variety in this game.

STORY
This is what makes this game my favorite game ever, and lots of people will agree. I gave a short summary as the intro, but there is so much more to the story. If you have played the game, you will know what I'm talking about. I can't say much without giving spoilers, so I'll just leave it at this: THIS STORY WILL MAKE EVERY EMOTION THAT EXISTS INSIDE YOUR MIND COME OUT OF ITS SHELL!!! It is the most emotional story I have ever experienced.

SOUND
The soundtrack to this amazing game makes it even more mind-blowing than it already is. I personall love the song at the end of the game when you arrive at Zanarkand and everyone is sitting around the campfire. But Seymour's theme is amazing, too! I just love every piece of music in this game. There are pieces that make me want to just go to sleep, and then there are pieces that make me want to be fighting a fiend in the game with them, such as "Overworld".

GRAPHICS
For the time that this game was made, the graphics were mind-blowing. Some of these cutscenes look like HD! Now though, compared to some XBox 360 games or PS3 games, the graphics are okay. I still prefer these graphics over any other game though. One thing I don't like is that the voiceovers don't match the mouth movements sometimes. But who really looks at their mouths anyway. I always have the subtitles on, so just in case I didn't understand what they said I can read it. So I never look at their mouths, although some of their movements are this way, too.

PLAY TIME/REPLAYABILITY
Well, the first time I beat this game it took me a little over 70 hours. The second time, though, was 44 hours. Using a walkthrough makes a lot of a difference, but mainly it just depends on your skill to battle, and luck to find out where to go next. I am now working on about 34 hours, but I'm not done with it yet. Now for replayability. This is the third time playing the game for me, but it has been a long time since I beat the game last, so if you don't remember very well exactly how to beat the game, then you could probably play it at least 3 times before being bored by it. That is, if a PS3 or XBox 360 has taken the place of your PS2 already.

BAD THINGS
As you probably imagined by reading this review, I can't find too many flaws with this game, but no game is perfect, so here we go. The Sphere Grid gets kind of annoying when leveling your people up. The more experienced your characters, the harder it is to earn a point on the Sphere Grid. And even when you do get to move on it, your characters don't change much. This isn't really a bad thing, but it can be frustrating. The Cloister of Trials. Without a walkthrough it will take a normal person a decent amount of time to figure out what to do with all the spheres. But, once you complete the Trial, you get an aeon, so it's not that bad.

RENT OR BUY?
Well, I remembered when I first played it I rented it from Blockbusters, and was almost instantly hooked. I then saw it in our local mall and started saving up money to buy it. That was about 7 years ago, though, so it's pretty hard to remember. I would tell anyone to rent it first, and if you don't like it than don't purchase it, but if(like me) you were instantly hooked, of course buy it because it is one of the best video games out there!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/06/08

Game Release: Final Fantasy X (US, 12/17/01)

Would you recommend this