Review by Cubular

"The benchmark for all PS2 RPG's"

Ah, Final Fantasy X. This was the first Final Fantasy for the Playstation 2, and a lot of people had plenty to say about it. We got the FF7 fanboys crying out saying this game sucks, that it doesn't live up to the standards. Then we got the people who played the 9 previous Final Fantasy's, saying that it's missing some key elements of FF (i.e. Prelude, fat chocobo, etc.). Then you have people like me, who have never played a Final Fantasy, or an RPG before! I had to say, Final Fantasy X was the best RPG ever made at the time. I loved how the battle system/leveling up works. As of 2007, there is no RPG that even comes close to how professional the gameplay mechanics work for Final Fantasy X.

Gameplay: Surprisingly, you will find yourself in action most of the time, unlike most RPG's where you sit back and watch the cutscenes. The story can get a little confusing at times. There are a lot of things to do, lots of sidequests, including a game called Blitzball. Final Fantasy X uses the traditional turn-based system, which I didn't mind, but will tick off some hardcore RPG gamer. When you're progressing through the main story, you will find that it's pretty linear and straightforward. However, once you start doing the sidequests and attempting to max out your characters, this is where you'll find most fun. FFX starts to become complex and the methods you must use to defeat a strong enemy will make you feel good in the end.

10/10

Graphics: At the time, there was no game up to part with Final Fantasy X in terms of graphics. This game was beautiful. From the sparkling spirits of Zanarkand, to blasting the hell out of your enemy with Oblivion, you could tell that Squaresoft pushed the hardware limits of the Playstation 2. The CG's will blow your mind out. If you fast forward to 2007, you will notice that the graphics are pretty outdated now. But we're talking about 2001.

10/10

Sound: It's what you've come to expect of an RPG. From the sweeping landscape music, to the joyful piano tunes of Thunder Ruins, you will hear all the RPG music in Final Fantasy X. However, hardcore Final Fantasy fans will surely be dissappointed. If you're looking for classic tunes such as the prelude and prologue, you won't find it in Final Fantasy X. It doesn't follow tradition, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. The sounds in this game are top notch as well.

8/10

Control: Pretty simple controls. Your default action is to run and if you want to walk, you press X to walk. They're pretty good. However, the controls for blitzball are somewhat awkward.

7/10

Value: I've played this game for over 100 hours. If you're not an RPG fan, steer clear of Final Fantasy X. However, if you even have the slightest like for an RPG, you will absolutely love Final Fantasy X.

10/10

Summary: Final Fantasy X was the mother of all RPG's. Many have tried to overcome and copy its success, but few have done so. Even today, it's still considered one of the best RPG's of all time. Although Final Fantasy XII is out and overshadowing its little brother, FFX, you should still give it a try.

PRO: Sphere Grid an innovative system
PRO: Sidequests are very fun and rewarding
PRO: Graphics are top notch
PRO: Music is epic
PRO: 100+ hours of gameplay

CON: Story is hard to follow and linear
CON: Blitzball is somewhat repetitive
CON: Hardcore Final Fantasy fans will be disappointed

I give Final Fantasy X a 9.5/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/22/08

Game Release: Final Fantasy X (US, 12/17/01)