Review by hello271

"The definitive RPG on the Playstation 2"

Final Fantasy X - if you've never played an RPG on the PS2 and you're looking for one to play, this would be the game. There are some flaws and the game will annoy you at times, but the overall experience more than compensates.

Graphics - 10/10

For PS2 the graphics don't get much better than this. The pre-rendered scenes are amazingly good and there are plenty of these. The real-time characters also look very good. The character models are all very well done, and the environments are lush and colorful. From a graphics standpoint, there's really no major flaw I can think of.

Sound - 8/10

The music is good as expected. In this game they started to put voice acting into all the dialogue, definitely a welcoming change. It makes the game seem a lot more lively and realistic. The main gripe I have with this game's sound is...Tidus's voice. You've probably heard this complaint too many times before so let me tell you - everything you've heard is true. It's very whiny at times and really mars the gaming experience at times. There are times when I'd stop and think "why is this guy the main character of this great game?"

Story - 10/10

I was engrossed in the story from the beginning. It starts off with the main character Tidus in his hometown, Zanarkand. Soon it's under attack from a mysterious being named Sin. You get help from a character named Auron, only to be abandoned by him later on. The story really made me want to keep playing the game to find out what happened. I swear, for the first half, I was focused solely on finding that jerk Auron and finding out exactly who he is. If you like games that are focused on the story then you'll like FFX. There are quite a few plot twists and the ending is a little disappointing, but overall the story is very strong.

Gameplay - 8/10

The gameplay is turn-based RPG. A lot of people prefer active-time, but personally I found nothing wrong with turn-based. It's still fun, fast, and action-packed. You level up by using the sphere grid. It looks complicated at first but it's really pretty linear, which was kinda disappointing. Your character go from sphere to sphere to gain different stats, but the spheres follow a path and you can pretty much only go on that one path, so you can't really choose how your character grows. The weapons and armor are all the same except with different abilities. You don't really need to customize them early on, but later on they can be a big help.

As for moving around, well first of all, there is no world map. You basically follow a path for the entire game. I'm not an exploring type so I didn't really mind this, but some people might not like it. What really bugs me is that there is a map/radar that you get, and it has a red arrow indicating the exit. So basically I'm just looking at the map and moving a dot towards a red arrow. It really makes the game feel dumbed-down. But as soon as I remove the map, I get confused as to where I'm supposed to go. So it's a mixed bag.

Overall, I mostly cared about advancing the story, and the gameplay came naturally and it was a lot of fun. But there are a few flaws with the gameplay, and if you only care about the gameplay and not the story, you'll probably still like it but won't enjoy it as much.

Replay - 8/10

After you've beaten the game, there's a monster arena with super-powerful monsters that you can unlock and beat. You can also unlock the entire sphere grid, get the best weapons and armor, and in general there's a lot to do after the game ends. I've put in over 100 hours on this game so you'll get your money's worth. The only thing is, as with all RPG's, I felt little desire to replay the game from scratch. After knowing the whole story I've simply lost the motivation to play through it again.

Conclusion - 9/10

There are some problems with the game. The characters can be annoying at times, and the game is a bit too linear. However, if you're looking for a large-budget game with a deep story and good character development, this is the game to get on the PS2.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/06/08

Game Release: Final Fantasy X (US, 12/17/01)