Review by RPG Jake

"One word describes FF X- Excellent"

Final Fantasy X is finally here. After months of painful waiting I finally got my hands on the game and completed it. Was it worth it? Is it the best Final Fantasy overall? Read below.

Gameplay/Controls (10/10)- All I can say is WOW. This is the most fun I have ever had playing a Final Fantasy. The battle system is very fun to do and is one of the only games I have has so much fun fighting enemies. Some of the Boss battles are actually very challenging and will require some strategy to beat them. There were a few bosses in the game which took me a few tries to beat.

Story (10/10)- After finishing the game I have to say this is one of the, if not the greatest story in a Final Fantasy that I have ever read. I promise you that after you beat the game you will be in a state of awe. It starts in Zanarkand with a boy names Tidus. After signing some autographs he goes to the stadium to play blitzball. An underwater ball sport. After seeing a sweet FMV sin comes to attack Zanarkand and crashes the blitzball game. After the destruction begins you go outside to find everyone running out of the stadium and that's when you find Auron. One of if not the most interesting character in the as you will find out why by the time the game is over. After you meet Auron you will go fight Sin. After the battle you and Auron are transported to a world named Spira. This starts as one of the if not the most shocking and well told stories in a Final Fantasy game ever.

Audio/Video (10/10)- After hearing all the music I have to say that this is some of the best music I have heard in a video game period. I have to give my hats off to Nobuo Uematsu, Junya Nakano and Masashi Hamauzu for creating such well done music that is not only good, but it fits the scenes they are in perfectly. Some of the best in my opinion are Otherworld,Tidus and Yuna's theme, the final battle music and SUTEKI DA NE(Isnt it wonderful?) After you complete the game you will want to go out immediately and buy the soundtrack. It's that well done. The FMV video I thought were completely amazing and when they appeared were a treat to see. The graphics and characters were so life like that it made me think of how much technology has improved since the 8-bit days of nintendo.

Voice Acting (10/10)- I decided to put this in a seperate section cause I have alot to say about it. At first when I heard some of the character's voices for example Tidus's voice played by James Arnold Taylor. I wasnt to sure about it, but after playing the entire game I have to say that this has some of the best acting I have ever heard in a video game and holds my number one spot now for best acting.

There were a few moments at times where I felt he talked a little too fast in heated scenes, but other than that I thought his character was very well done and did a great job with the part especially during the ending which I felt was his best work. Hedy Burress who played Yuna I felt during most of the game did very well. There were a few parts in the game where I felt she was unconvincing and made the scenes akward, but other than that I really liked her voice. The most well acted characters I think were Rikku and Wakka. Rikku's voice played by Tara Strong fits perfectly for her character and played her parts very well I was very satisfied. Wakka played by John DiMaggio I felt he did a fantasic job with his part. He never overacted once and acted his parts very well during the whole game.
Lulu the voice of reason and another one of Yuna's guardians played by Paula Tiso I felt couldnt get much better than her and found her voice very satisfying and fitting for her character. Kimahri played by John DiMaggio who also plays Wakka's part played a beast perfectly and thought you couldnt get a much better voice than what he did. He is quiet and doesnt say very many lines thought the game but when he does finally speak it is it is very fitting for him. Finally Auron played by Matt McKenzie which I felt was in my opinion the most interesting character in a RPG ever. He kept you interested during all the parts he was in. His voice I thought was absolutely brilliant and fitting for his character. Wise and experienced. Not only do the characters have great voices but the villians do too. The main villian for the game was very convincing I couldnt help but like him/her. Especially close to the end of the game. I think you will love the voices for this game like I did and hope you do too.

Replayability (10/10)- This is another part of the game which shines. There is so much to do in this game. Especially at the point in the game where you get the airship. In one of the towns in the game there is a place where you can buy the music and movies you have seen in the game which is very fun to do and have been wanting to see in a Final Fantasy game since FF7. There are also a bunch of minigames such as catching butterflies, chocobo racing makes a return since Final Fantasy 7, getting all the ultimate weapons which will take you a long time to do but is very worth it. Catching monsters and bringing them to the monster arena where you can win prizes and fight the monsters all you want. Translating the Al Bhed language and getting Jecht Spheres I thought was very fun to do. This game has so much replayability that it's shocking and it will take you well over 100 hours or maybe more to do everything.

Buy or Rent?- If this is your first Final Fantasy game or RPG then I say rent first to see how you like it, but if you are a die hard Final Fantasy or RPG fan then this is a must buy for you. I give this game two thumbs up and hope you like it as much as I did.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/02, Updated 01/02/02