"Great at first, disapointing later..."

Over the past few months, I had the privilege of playing the Final Fantasy XI Beta. I was very excited for this game, and was very very glad that I got on the beta. But, just like I mentioned in the title, this game is really fun and addicting at first, but after awhile just lets you down more and more.

At first, I played this game non-stop. I must have played at least 60 hours the first three weeks or so. The characters and the enemies are very cool looking, and that's not what disappointed me. The thing that disappointed me was the battle system, the parties, and so on. I got very sick of going around the forest and just hack and slashing monsters, and having no control on when you hit the enemy. You could control the abilities your guy does, but my guy barely had any abilities. It seemed like the battle system didn't really have any system at all. No rolling, no nothing, just complete random chances that you might hit them, or miss them.

The other problem to me was the party system. First of all, it was very hard to find a party. After awhile, everybody was such a higher level than me, that I'd have to do everything on my own. Not only that though, when you did finally find a party, you barely got any experience at all. They split the experience by how many people are in the party, so you cant just go around having fun with your friends leveling up. It just never appealed to me.

So that being said, you can tell it really didn't appeal to me, but then again, I've never really been interested in MMORPG's. I do give it some points though because it was very addicting at first, its just that over time, I got kind of sick of it.

Graphics: 10/10 The graphics in this game are very impressive. I really loved the character design, the enemies, the cities. Other than the very few random glitches (although it was the beta) the graphics really impressed me.

Audio and Soundtrack: 9/10 What can I say, Nobuo Uematsu is a genius, and always will be a genius. I really love all the soundtracks he's done for all the Final Fantasies, and this is no exception. I did take one point though, cause the music in San D'oria did get a bit repetitive.

Controls: 7/10 The controls are pretty simple. Up to move, right to turn, you know, the basics. It could have been more precise, and they could of done better with the camera motions.

Story: 7/10 Its a pretty good story for an MMORPG. They did what Everquest never could do, include a story along with online play. I didn't really get to far in the story, but what from I did see, it was pretty good.

Gameplay: 4/10 This game just did not appeal to me. To me, it got very repetitive and boring. Nothing for me ever seemed to pick up.

All Around Score: 5/10 I don't think I will buy this game, just because the fact that good graphics and a good soundtrack wont make me pay all that money. I never really did get into MMORPG's, and I'm sure if you were into those games, you would like this. But to me, this just was to chaotic, and didn't have a really overall organized system.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 10/28/03