Review by ShArP ShOt

"A Great Game"

Background: 20 years ago a great war broke out between the beastmen and all of the civilized people of Vana’diel. In order to defeat these beastmen all three of the great nations had join forces to take out the enemy. Now today, a new dark force is rising. Who will be victorious? Who will lead them? It is up to you who will.

First off, this is just a great game. I have never really fully enjoyed a Mass Multi-player Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) until now. I have always been a fan of the Final Fantasy series. The possibilities and the paths you can take in this game is almost infinite. Also this game has many stories to it and the interaction with other players only furthers your experience.

Details of the game: There are four major races of Vana’diel. These are Hume, Galka, Mithra, and Tarutaru. Each race has its perks and cons and is better at certain jobs than other races do. What you chose to be and what you do are entirely up to you.

Graphics: Most MMORPG’s seem to lack in this area due to the fact that the game is so large and the graphics are not the main focus of the game. This is not true as of Final Fantasy XI. The graphics are clean cut and have great detail in them. Also the different moves facial reactions and everything that goes along with it can be seen with ease. Because of Final Fantasy’s great graphics I give it a 9 out of 10.

Controls: Controls are basically the downfall of this game. Because of all of the different things you can do, there are so many buttons to memorize. But by the time you reach a certain point in the game you will remember everything that you need too. A keyboard in my opinion is a must. Also reading the instruction manual and having it by you while playing is also a recommended thing. Because it may take a few hours to memorize everything for controlling your character, I give Final Fantasy XI a 7 out of 10

Music: The music in Final Fantasy XI is awesome. When in a certain area a corresponding song goes along with it. Each song different from the rest and is entertaining. On top of songs for certain areas there are different songs for when riding a Chocobo and when you are fighting enemies. Since the music in Final Fantasy XI is so entertaining I give it a 10 out of 10

Sound The sound in this game is also very good. You can hear your footsteps when running in the grass or the walkway. And that sound differs from one another also. When hitting someone you hear yourself grunt, or when you get hit you hear yourself cry for pain. After time though it becomes repetitive but you don’t even realize the sound. Also there is a different sound for every spell in the game. That is fantastic. Although sounds may become repetitive over time, the variation of each sound makes me give Final Fantasy XI a 9 out of 10

Game play Final Fantasy’s Game play is fantastic. There are many things that make it great but there are a few different things. First off is the diversity of what you can do. You can fight Beastmen, fish, buy and sell items and interacting with friends. When you get boards of something, switch to another thing. For example if you are tired of fighting monsters why not take up a trade skill and try to make some extra gil. Also this game allows you to start and stop playing this game at any time because when you shut it off it saves where you where exactly. On top of all of this, the interaction with other people makes this game. Being able to play with your friends and family is an awesome aspect of this game. You may even make a few friends playing it. Since Square-Enix does such a unbelievable job with Final Fantasy’s game play I give it 10 out of 10

Synopsis: Final Fantasy XI for the Playstation 2 is just down right incredible. From the Graphics to the music to the game play this game is solid. I do not believe Square-Enix could have done a better job. If you are either a Final Fantasy fan or a MMORPG fan, this game is a must!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/28/04