Review by Kerred

"Rental Review: Despite being the same as other GTs, its still addicting and one of the best racing games out there"

Yep, anyone with a PS2 should know about GT3. It could be considered one of the first ''real'' games of the system. If you never played a Gran Turismo game before and you like racing games, stop reading this and go out and rent it right now! If you hate racing games (like me), definitely play it, since its kinda like an RPG; you earn money to buy faster cars, power them up, win more money, buy faster cars until you're satisfied with your superior power!

Graphics: 9
The cars are a 10! Try and look at the cars for jaggies or seams. You can only see them when the camera is on the road and a car goes through them. The cars are shinier than anything, they look real, the replays are amazing, and you can see a little guy in the car! how cute!
The backgrounds are pretty good. You can't really tell how to make accurate turns, but that's just because its a TV screen. The courses aren't as realistic as the cars either, thus giving it a 9.

Sound: 9
The engine sounds are great, especially in surround sound. The high bass and sub-woofer blasts when you rally or ride on the line are great! The soundtrack is great because you can get rid of songs you don't like. Only complaints are it doesn't make full use of surround sound (from what I can tell), and there is no sound of still objects passing by you, such as speeding past a pole.

Gameplay: 9
I'm assuming you all know about Gran Turismo. The controls are great when you get used to them, albeit the sore thumb from holding down the gas so hard. I couldn't find a way to shut it off, so I used a PSOne controller sometimes. The game is hard at first, but once you get a car with high horse power, its incredibly easy, due to the fact that the A.I. is unbalanced and there's no horse power limit. (should've been included).
Overall I've played GT2 to death, but still found GT3 entertaining at couldn't shut it off at most points.
And the lisense tests are the most frustrating thing you'll ever do, but you just can't give it up!

Replay: ?
I didn't complete it all yet, but I wouldn't want to start over after spending countless days getting golds on the lisence tests!

Overall (on average): 9
It's a great way to kill your summer hours, but this score is probably too high considering what will be in the next Gran Turismo installment. Saving and loading times are pretty quick too.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/14/01, Updated 07/14/01