Review by Mr Food

"I hired someone to stop me from drooling when I play this game"

Having never played a Gran Turismo game in my life and not even being a fan of racing games, I was just going to let the people who enjoy this type of thing to go along their merry way. What a mistake that would have been! This game is near perfect in every way. The graphics are stunning, the realistic physics will make you think you are actually behind the wheel of a car, and the realistic environment will have you running over every cone in sight just so you can see it go flying.

Visuals: 10
The visuals are amazing. The cars look pretty much exactly as their real-life counter parts, they shine when they're clean, and get progressively dirtier as you drive it. Not to worry, though, as you can wash it and bring it back to its shiny state. The environment is realistic as well. You can run over cones and watch then soar through the air. Next lap, you can do it again if you can find out where it landed. The trees look realistic and the crowd, although reminiscent of cardboard cut-outs, look like real people.

Sound: 7
The sound is not that great in the game, depending on how you look at things. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I like more than hearing the engine of my turbo charged car roar before the race starts. After that, you get a bunch of music and slightly less audible sound effects. Where is the crowd in this game? Last time I checked, the crowd was allowed to cheer during a race. This is not a library: you can be loud. The soundtrack they do have in the game has its ups and downs, but I have learned to live with it.

Ingenuity: 8
I have never played a previous Gran Turismo game, so I don't know any features that are new to the game. I've heard that ''there are less cars than in Gran Turismo 2, but I think that the graphics make up for it,'' several times, but I'm not sure I agree. I always pick gameplay over graphics unless the graphics are so awful that it actually ruins the gameplay. I can't see the graphics in the game being bad, so I think Gran Turismo 3 loses out a bit. I have played racing games before, and I do not remember ever being hit by a car that I had purposely smacked into just minutes ago.

Replay: 9
This game is just fun. Even after you master all the courses, its still fun. Starting over from scratch is fun. Getting various licenses is fun. The game is fun! The game gets significantly harder as you move from the beginner cup to the amateur cup, but you should have a car that can out power pretty much anything by the time you get that far. Even so, this game will keep you busy for weeks just doing various things, getting various cars and making them suped up.

I can't believe I almost passed up this game. Even if you don't like racing games, this game will satisfy your needs as a Playstation 2 owner. Amid the drought of high quality games, this ones shines through and hopefully won't get boring until the next great game comes out.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/24/01, Updated 07/24/01