Review by Conquerer

"The Real Driving Simulator"

I was AMAZED from just the beginning video of Gran Turismo 3 A-spec!. The car models look so amazing that they're very close to real! And the backgrounds are good too. When I bought this game, it was a very wise choice and I would never take it back. I got it a long time ago but I still come back to play it every once in awhile.

Gameplay - 10/10
The gameplay in Gran Turismo 3 A-spec is unbelievable. It amazes me. This game isn't called the Real Driving Simulator for no reason. If you played the game, you'd see what I'm talking about. The thing that I love in this game is getting good times for certain tracks. Buy a nice car, soup it up, change the settings, race it and get an outstanding time. You can do a lot in this game, there's to much to tell but I'll do my best. There are 2 modes, Arcade and Simulation. In Arcade, you can race against up to 5 opponents in a Single Race, complete around 10 Time Trials in Time Trial, and use Free Run to get good times or just race by yourself or against your ghost. In Simulation, you can get licences (5 of them), which you'll need for certain races, race in Beginner, Amateur or Professional and win money. You also win cars for every cup you win. There is a Test Course, where you can test the max speed of your car. It is much larger than the one in Gran Turismo 2, trust me, you can actually get up to your max speed, even with insane cars. There is also Rally, where you race in dirt, concrete and wet road tracks with your Dirt Tires, that come equipped with Rally Cars, but you have to buy them you other cars if you can at all. You can't make any car with Dirt Tires, image a Toyota GT-One on a rally track, I just don't see that happening. One of the best things to do is use Manual Transmission, it's really fun. You won't be too good at first if you're just starting, but you will get better, and it's amazing when you're good at it. I strated awhile ago and it took me awhile to get use to it, but now I use it all the time because it's amazing, even in other racing games. I really love playing Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, it's just really fun!

Graphics - 10/10
What game has better car models? No other game (Well, besides GT4 when it comes out). Gran Turismo 3 A-spec has the best graphics in any game I know of at the time. Some people say the backgrounds look horrible and look 2D. They aren't the best backgrounds but they actually are very detailed. But you don't see anyone complaining about the car models, because they are just fantastic and will blow you away! Roads are very detailed and have great texture, along with skidmarks which jack up the realism. The dirt, which is only in certain tracks also looks very detailed, but when it flies in the air, it's not that great. That needs to be worked on. The grip pads at some turns are highly detailed and have realistic scratches on them. When you brake after driving at a high rate of speed, your brake calipers heat up and you can actually see them light up. The realism in this game is just unbelievable, it's like nothing else.

Sound - 10/10
From great songs and real sound effects of car engines and others, this game has it all. There are many songs that I like in Gran Turismo 3 A-spec and I actually downloaded some of them. The sound of your car sound very realistic. I love hearing the revs of my car, especially when it sounds amazing. I personally love the sound of the R34 Skyline. When you're in tunnels, the sound of the engine is amazing, especially the R34! You can race and listen to songs at the same time which makes it pretty sweet. Having you're favourite car, driving it with your favourite song in the game can be really fun. Another thing that I found great was that they got new sound effects for when you're skidding; I found it rather lame in Gran Turismo 2 but I'm glad they paid attention to it in Gran Turismo 3 A-spec. The menu music is pretty cool, but I'm sure some people are probably annoyed of it, but I'm not. Overall, the sound in Gran Turismo 3 A-spec was just outstanding.

Control - 10/10
You don't like the control? Change it. Fully customizable is great in a game, as if the controls in GT3 weren't good enough. I found them perfect. Except how you originally press X to accelerate and Square to brake, so I changed it to the right Analog Stick to accelerate and brake. I use this control and I love it. I now do this in all racing games if I can. It's much better than using X and Square, trust me. I don't have the racing wheel, but I would love to have it. I seems great and I would like to try it out. The controls for upshifting and downshifting are perfect - L2 and R2. The controls in Gran Turismo 3 A-spec may seem a little tight at first, but you will get used to them after awhile. And this is a simulation game.

Replay Value - 10/10
The replay value in Gran Turismo 3 A-spec is massive. There is so much to do. It will take you a very long time just to beat the game. And once your done, there are many other things to do. You can compete in a GT3 league which can be very fun. I was in several and I found them very fun, so I made my own and I won. This game makes you a great driver, it teaches you how to race. Go in slow come out fast. That's what getting good times is all about and that's how you'll do good in leagues. This game actually taught me how to drive with skill. Because of Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, I am now a great and skilled driver. I can know play this game and other racing games and beat many people and of course all my friends. If you buy Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, be sure to play it for a long time so you can learn how to drive properly. You can also learn from the licences, which is good for beginners. There are 181 cars in GT3, that's a lot. I have been playing the game for a long time and I don't even have them all. I have only bought around 10 cars. I have over 100 though. I have won so many cars from races, I just use those to win more races. I soup them up and I beat more races to get even better cars. There are actually Formula One cars in this game. That's right, F1 cars. 6 of them. Right now I have 4, 3 different ones though. There are amazing and handle extremely well. They also go very fast but the handling won't let you down. You should really try to beat this game, it is worth the play time.

Rent or Buy
What are you thinking? Of course buy it. This is is MUST HAVE game for any gamer. It will actually get you into racing, I guarantee it. If you find other racing games fun then definitely buy it, no questions. If you are a fan of racing and you don't have Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, you should be ashamed of yourself. Go buy it now! Even if you're slightly interested in racing, go buy it. If you are reading this review, you are probably interested in buying it. And I am telling you, get up, go to a gaming store and buy this game! It is only $20! ($30 Canadian). And it is worth every penny. You must own Gran Turismo 3 A-spec.

Overall - 10/10
I didn't just give this game all tens for no reason. I gave it what it deserves. This game is almost perfect. All it needs is for you to be able to customize the looks of your car and online capabilities. But Gran Turismo 4 is planned to be online and will come out late 2003 in Japan or early 2004 according to schedule. Hopefully not to much later it will be released in North America. Like I said earlier, Gran Turismo 3 A-spec is a MUST HAVE game for any gamer, I would recommend it to everyone.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/31/03, Updated 09/16/03