Review by SalvatoreRulz

"Extremely Realistic Racing"

Gran Turismo 3 is one of those supreme series that dominates its genre, and simply blows all of its players into shock. Everything from buying parts to racing in real life tracks is in this game. The graphics are sweet, and so are the sound effects. To date, this is probably one of the best racing games ever published. In this review, I will break down all the details of Gran Turismo 3, and why it is better than the 2 Gran Turismo games before it. The realism in this game seems to have the sky as it's limit, and the only thing that may surpass this game, is it's successor. Gran Turismo 4 is scheduled to come out in the 2nd Quarter of 2004, and we will see just how good Polyphony Digital is at publishing real life breathing racing games.

Graphics
Wow. The graphics in this game are sweet, and you will love it. I'm not just talking about the graphics of the cars, but also of the performance parts, wheels, courses, and scenery. If you watch the intro video to this game, you will see just how ahead of it's time these graphics are. Over 2 years later, not many racing games have this quality of graphics. Some maps may have a little off-beat of graphics, but most players will struggle to see flaws in the graphics, even if they are looking for them. Some amazing graphics have been extracted from the PS2 system and jammed into one game, and this has to be one of the tops. An amazing job by Polyphony Digital to capture the realism that players crave. We are coming into a time where graphics are among the most important thing in a game, and that is why Gran Turismo 3 was one of the most popular games of it's time.

Gameplay
Now this is just amazing. There is an abundance of stuff you can do in this game, and it will keep you busy for quite some time. This huge game gives you everything. High Horsepower, sleek looking cars will be flying in all the endurance races... Rugged rally cars will seem great after mastering the on-road stuff in this game. There are a lot of things you can do in this game, and most of them are challenging. For instance, you have to complete license tests just like you would have to in real life. Beginner, Amateur and Professional leagues classify the difficulty, length, and realism, such as tire wear and pit stops. The game starts to get a little bit repetitive when it comes to the Professional League, and especially the 1 to 2 and a half hour long endurance races.. but I guess realism is what we are shooting for. Winning races allows you to get amazing prize cars that are normally locked, also. Very cool.

Sound
Hmm, this is pretty good, but not as good as it could be. The revving of the engines and the pit stop sounds are nice, but how about some more realistic crashing noises, or some tire screeching? Well, I guess we could live with this sound... but it's the thing that stops this game from being 10/10. An amazing value still, but hopefully this is one of the things we see improved in Gran Turismo 4. There is also a built in radio feature, but without the Hard Disk Drive that has come out for the PS2 it's pretty much useless, since most of the songs on this radio aren't really good. This could be another huge improvement for Gran Turismo 4 or even 5, Hard Disk Drive capabilities, with downloadable songs, courses(tracks) and more. Anyways, the sound effects detract from the game value somewhat, but not too much, however.

Replayability/Fun Factor
Hand in hand, this game is pretty great. The replayability is also one of the two things that prevent this master racing game from being a 10/10. This game seems pretty repetitive after getting into the Amateur League, since you have so much money, you get a car with over 1,000 Horsepower, and dominate every race, easily lapping people. The difficulty of some races(particularly the endurance races) should have been harder, but that's alright. This game is still very fun.. Yes, very time consuming, but still very life-like and fun. Hopefully this repetitivity factor can be fixed in Gran Turismo 4 as well, if it is, Gran Turismo 4 will definitely be awesome. The difficulty of some other things, like license tests, can get extremely frustrating, and even seem impossible at times. A more balanced difficulty should be put into action by Polyphony Digital for the next installment of this series.

This game is definitely a must buy, must have in your collection. This game is obviously now a greatest hits title, meaning it is only $20! Yep, one of the greatest games out for PS2, and easily the best in the racing genre is only twenty bucks. This game is also compatible with many PS2 and Logitech driving/steering wheels, which is also very lifelike and cool. Alright, to sum it up... this game transformed amazingly from a Playstation 1 Gran Turismo 2 to a lifelike Gran Turismo 3 on Playstation 2. This transformation kind of reminded me of Grand Theft Auto 2 to Grand Theft Auto 3. Video game players everywhere now have a new respect and a new outlook for Polyphony Digital as a game publisher. Gran Turismo 4 should hopefully fix the sound issues, the replayability issues, and hopefully have HDD capabilities. One thing we know about this upcoming game is that Online Play will be enabled with the Network Adapter. This should be extremely awesome, and playing with others will be a blast.

All in all, I rate this a 9/10. Best racing game to date, and not many Sports games in general will be as good and as hyped up in it's prime as this game was. Amazing game, and definitely a must have in your Playstation 2 collection. Great job on a masterpiece by Polyphony Digital.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/04/04