Review by Steve03

"A game worth looking at"

Onimusha is the second game that I bought for my Playstation 2. In all honestly, I think I only bought it because of its television marketing campaign. The commercials made the game look really fun and I bought into that. However, I’m glad that I did. Onimusha was a good introduction to the Playstation 2 and a good launch title for this next-generation system.

Gameplay: Onimusha utilizes the general gameplay qualities as the Resident Evil series. I never played any of the Resident Evil games, but I enjoyed Onimusha’s gameplay. The game wasn’t overly hard, but there were a few challenging areas. In an overall manner, the gameplay was enjoyable. The controls functioned appropriately and rarely did I encounter any problems. Learn to use your block early on, you’ll need it later. (8)

Story: The story is about a rebellion. In an epic battle in the rebellion, the leader of the rebel army is slain. A while later, however, he is seen at the head of another massive army. This leads to a whole series of strange occurrences throughout the land. The story was interesting and enough to provide a decent backdrop, but never in-depth enough to survive on its own. For most of the game, the plot is evident but not necessary. Reading the background in the manual is certainly optional for this game, but recommended. The opening cinematic is good enough to fill you in. (9)

Audio/Video: The graphics in this game are nice, but not great. They don’t stand out enough to make me want to rant about them. For that reason, they’re nice and they suit their purpose. The graphics aren’t choppy or blurry; they’re as they should be. Not bad graphics at all for a launch title. The audio is really good with regards to spoken dialogue. There are scenes where characters swap words with each other and each is filled with spoken dialogue instead of plain text. I like hearing the characters speak so I was glad the speech was included. Battle sounds helped to deepen the game but didn’t provide anything outstanding. (9)

Replayability: I wasn’t all that inclined to play through the game again. It would be fun knowing where to go and what to do, but it just wasn’t very appealing. However, the special modes that can be unlocked after beating the game changed that. You’ll see once you beat it. (6)

Buy or rent: If you’re a fan of the Resident Evil series or like the time frame this game is set in, buy it. Otherwise, rent it for a few days and see if you like it. I almost always encourage people to rent unless they have some personal tie to the game.

Overall: (8).

Onimusha is a good game that’s worth a look. Rent it and see if you enjoy it, you probably will.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/01/01, Updated 08/01/01