Review by Riskbreaker

"I'mm dreaamming of a white Christmaaassss....."

I'mmm Dreeaaamminnnnggg oofffff a whiittteeee Christmaaaasssss! Simply put this game Rocks! For the Snowboard game fan this is a MUST have!

SSX was the most highly anticipated titled to me (besides Half-life, The Bouncer and Final Fantasy X.) and Boy did it blow me away! On Christmas the second game I received was SSX and I couldn't wait to play it because of all the hype I have been giving it and it checked out perfectly!

The graphics are stunning. When you see the intro movie I was like ''OK this is what I expected,'' but when I actually got the game started I was shocked. The IN-GAME graphics were just as good as the intro movie!

This is a very fast paced game and in games like these graphics aren't really everything. But even as well as this game is done, the graphics are done just as well. From before the race you see your rider waving his or her arms shouting different thing, and their mouths move. Now that might not be a very important thing but I hate games where there is voice acting and their mouths don't move, or don't move noticeably. Well, aside from that, all of the Courses are beautifully designed. From the colored snow to the ice to the cars, all of them have very fine detail.

The music and sound affects in SSX are great. The music that is played while you board is upbeat and you really don't get tired of it. Now background music isn't a very big issue, the most important thing is sound though are the affects. The sounds affects are soo well done in this game. Every time you jump onto a rail you hear a nice metal to metal sound. When you are cruising along and hit a trick the rider will shout something, when you are hit by another person your rider shouts. The sound is done better in this game then in any other game I have played.

The Gameplay in this is wonderful. All the courses are different so you never really feel like the game is being repetitive. The handling for the game is great, it responds accordingly and is not hard.
When you press X or start at the Title screen it brings you to a place where you can choose either to play in the World Circuit or Just to mess around.
In World Circuit you are in a quarter final race in whatever course you have chosen. You have to be in the top 3 to move on to the semifinal, you have to be in the top 3 there and then you move on to the Final. In the final you must be in the top three to win a Bronze Silver or Gold metal. Each time you win a metal some new things are unlocked (ex. Clothes, boards, Courses, ect.). You also get to add AP (Ability Points) to your riders abilities, to make them go up.
In the other mode you get to ride on any of the courses you have unlocked in Race, Showoff, or Free mode. You can also go to warm-up, which is on its own course, to be taught the basics of SSX.

Replayability: 10/10

There is a great Replayability in SSX. After you unlock every map, every board, every piece of clothing and maxed out everyone's stats, you will still want to go back and play them again! Each time you play a course you will find something new, and then you will want to go back and play it again!

Buy or Rent: Buy

If you were one of the lucky people to actually get a PS2 you will not want to wait to buy this game. If you really dont like snowboarding titles, at least rent it, it will be worth it.

SSX, Great graphics, In depth sound, Fun Gameplay, what more could you want?

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/28/00, Updated 12/28/00