Review by TSculimbrene

"The Second Coming...."

In my mind there are a few things that make a game great, but the single virtue of a great game is that a game can be easy to play but IMPOSSIBLE to master. This, my friends, is what SSX is. I have played a ton of games, starting with an Atari 2600 moving onto a Genesis, a Gameboy, a 3D0, a Playstation, PC, and Playstation 2 and this game is among the best of all time. The whole idea of liking a sports game, let alone an ''alternative'' sports game, seemed appalling to me at one time, but having played the game I am astounded. EA Big must be given all of the accolades for this game. A new philosophy of making games (that is, games with skill, remember that, skill?) has been born and this is its first child.

Graphics and Sound: 9/10

The snow looks superb and that is the single biggest thing that needed to look good and it does. The color is really good. The palette and the unique schemes make this a unique looking game. Perhaps a turn to cell shading could make the game look even ''funkier'' to go along with the spectacular, over the top gameplay. Nothing looks bad, but things could have been a little more abstract. Go sound, nothing that distracts from the game. Adds an enormous amount of atmosphere.

The deep gameplay with a low learning threshold is the key to what makes this game great. The idea of a game giving you more control and actually counting finesse positively is refreshing. The gameplay is involved and each time you play for the first 3 months you'll find something new. The different modes and the races add a ton of replay value. Oh yeah, the last level is unbelievable hard, but not impossible. Analog makes all the difference. Again the idea that finesse is important. The notion of ''the touch'' is key to breaking this game wide open. Simply stunning.

Replayability: 10/10

Keep playing this game and the more you will appreciate how deep this game. The amount of skill needed to beat the last level is stunning in comparison to what you need to be the first level. I still play this game on a regular basis, good stuff.

Story: NA/NA

We don't need no stinking story...

Buy or Rent?

Buy this game. I cannot say anymore. In fact, buy the system for this game. I guarantee it is worth it. BUY THIS GAME.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/14/01, Updated 05/14/01