Review by PS2pcGAMER

"This Game Is Simply Amazing"

I had just bought a Play Station 2 and I needed a game. I was hoping to get NFL Madden 2001 because I heard it was such a great game. It happened that the game was sold out. I looked at the other games and a certain game caught my eye, SSX. I figured since SSX was made by Electronic Arts, it would be a great game. It also looked awesome from the pictures on the back of the box. I decided to buy that game and I have never regretted it.
This game is simply amazing, from the graphics, to the sound, to the gameplay, every aspect is astonishing. SSX was voted Game of the Year by multiple magazines and online gaming news sites. There are very few things wrong with the game.

Gameplay 10/10
The gameplay is superb. The controls are great, the courses are great, everything is great. You control a snowboard, doing tricks and passing other players, trying to get to the finish line. In stunt mode, you do as many tricks as possible to try and get the highest points. In race mode, you race other snowboarders down a mountainside, trying to be the first one down to the finish line. You play as one of 8 characters. You get extra stuff (Players, boards, clothing) if you complete levels. You can either win Gold, Silver, or Bronze. When you win you can improve your snowboarding by adding stats to, speed, tricks. Stability, and Edging. The two player mode is another great feature.

Graphics 10/10
The graphics are amazing. They are probably the best graphics of any game on PlayStation 2. The game is very detailed. You can see things ahead of you (no white fog). The characters look real. It actually looks like your actually snowboarding.

Audio 9/10
The audio is very good. You can hear the snowboard hitting the snow. The announcer is good. He is not too loud so you don't hear the music, but loud enough to hear him say the tricks that you just completed. The soundtracks fit in with the game very well. The soundtrack music is good music too.

Controls 9/10
SSX has pretty good controls. The trigger buttons are used to do grabs in the air. Different combinations do different tricks. The X button is your jump and the Square Button is your boost. The Triangle and Circle buttons change your view. You can either use the d-pad or the left joystick to change directions. The Right Joystick pushes other opponents. The default control configuration works pretty well. I usually use the d-pad to do tricks and the left joystick to control my direction. I have no complaints about the controls.

Replayability 10/10
This game is extremely fun. You will play it for many hours without getting bored of it. Once you beat the game with one character, you still have to beat it with seven more characters. You have to complete you trick book to get access to more costumes. Once you beat the game with all of the characters it is still fun. This game will last you a long time with out getting boring.

To Buy or to Rent
As I suggest with all games, rent it first. I have never been snowboarding and this game is great. I think most people will enjoy it, especially if they are into sports. If you aren't the sports type, you should rent this game any ways. That’s how good it is.

SSX is one of the greatest, if not the best game available for PlayStation 2. The sequel, SSX: Tricky was just announced which is an improvement of this game, same levels, characters, etc., just more of them. I think that most people will enjoy this game, and everyone should at least play it once. In my opinion, it is the best game available for PS2. Every aspect of this game is wonderful.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/22/01, Updated 05/27/01