Review by outbreakorn

"Number 1 snowboarding game of all time"

Gameplay 10/10
This game had incredible gameplay. The Game's trick system was very thought out and the controls were dead on. There is a very small learning curve, and once you figure out the unique trick system, every thing clicks very easily. You race, and by doing tricks, you get adrenaline for the trick you pull. This pumps a lot of energy in the races, and rewards you for taking risk in races. There are also tons of interesting shortcuts you can take, like going through a sewer, or an underground mine. There are eight characters, all with different attributes, and eight tracks, all which are very long. The longest, the Alps and Untracked, take an average around five minutes to complete, and that's just if you race as fast as possible to the end. With over 50 different grabs, tons of different spin tricks, SSX is no doubt the best snowboarding game to date, and fights Tony Hawk Pro Skater as being the premier extreme sport game.

Graphics/Sound 9/10
The graphics are the best in any extreme sport game, as well as any game. Great detail is taken in all the levels. Great effects include fireworks and amazing lighting. The crisp sound effects are great, although the commentary and fast-pace soundtrack gets old after a while. I like how when you land a trick it the announcer tells you what it is. Some of the song are good, but others are just annoying. I play with my CD player going most of the time.

Replay Value 10/10
This game has some of the best replay value of any game. Once you get all the levels, you will want to master all your characters, which can be hard, but still fun. After you do that, you will want to complete everyone's trick book, which you have to do 50 tricks for everyone, which ranges from indy's to double Rodeo's. After that, it's still fun just to mess around with your friends and just play the game over again. You'll find yourself playing a long time after you buy this game.

Buy/Rent
I would have to say buy, just because this game is so much fun, and can be played just about any time, for any length of time.

I loved this game, and it is so far my favorite game on the Playstation 2, and my favorite snowboarding game since Cool Boarders 3. I highly recommend this game for anyone who like fast action games, and extreme sports games.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/22/01, Updated 06/22/01