Review by Deathscythe810

"Fireworks without that burning smell. Sony did good."

Who doesn't like going out on the fourth of July, puling out a stretch-out chair, and watching the blazing colors light up the sky for a few seconds each? That's what I thought to myself when I bought FantaVision, a puzzle game that lets you set off fireworks over different stages.

When I first turned it on, I was delighted by intro. Although it had nothing to do with the game, it was a funny one that somewhat ties into the rest of the little movies of the game.

Then the title screen came on with some really funky (thats good) music. The main menu is almost like a firework going off in your face! (its not intended to) It takes a few seconds to read the choices, but thats a minor thing. So i picked single player, and here is what i concluded:

The graphics are spectacular! The fireworks look almost real (especially if you're up close to a big screen TV). And the backgrounds are pretty good too. The only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because I expected a little more 3D in terms of the fireworks. It looks too 2D.

Theres lotsa cool music in between stages and, actually, whenever you're not playing. Kinda ironic. Well, I guess thats to let you enjoy it since you wont be concentrating on setting off fireworks, but still, the music during some of the stages put me to sleep.

Story: N/A
There is no story, as this is a puzzle game. I'm just following format.

Nicely done. The controls are pretty smooth, and the game is pretty basic and easy to learn, but hard to perfect.

Replay: 5/10
This game is great for younger gamers, as they'll like the ''cool flashy stuff'', but for the mature gamers it will get boring a little quick. It gets tedious, as there are really only 3 colors of fireworks, and the rest are power ups. Its a good challenge (and pretty fun) to try to get the high score, though. The 2-player mode saves it's replay value, as its a blast to play against someone in a heated competition of blazing chemicals in the sky (a.k.a Fireworks). There are a few things to unlock too, and that seems to make you want to play too.

Verdict: 7/10
The game is cool and fun for a while, but you'll get tired of it as (many) other games overshadow it. The game really does show off your hardware, though. Puzzle lovers will definitely take a liking to it.

Rent or Buy?
Renting is best it if you cant find it for $15.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/06/02, Updated 08/06/02