Review by DarkFury3827

"A bad, brain killing experience..."

This game, is probably one of the worst that I've ever played and that is pretty amazing because I've played many, many games. The only reason I'll cut it any slack at all is because it was one of the first Playstation 2 games that came out, and they used it mainly to show off the graphics. But! No matter how poor a game is, when a system first comes out the game is going to cost around 60 bucks. Since you don't have many choices, you may wind up choosing this one, since you don't know any better with a new system.

Be warned. The entire point of this game is to detonate fireworks as they launch into the sky. You can chain the fireworks together, and get rather large combos by doing so. There is a multiplayer... but it is the same things. Rather like Tetris, but the difference is that Tetris is fun.

First off, talking of graphics, that is the only thing the game has going for it. I'd hope so, because that is what it is all about. The fireworks look very nice, and the lights are bright and easy to look at. However, I also don't think they had enough different graphics for the fireworks. If the entire game is just sending off the lights, they should of spent a lot more time on it.

However, gameplay is really poor. When I first played it, it was pretty difficult. Within a half hour I knew what I was doing, and another half hour put me in the position to beat the game. It doesn't require a great deal of skill to get good at it, and once you do it loses its replay value. All you do is set up combinations and chains and such to explode the fireworks... and once you have done it, why do it again? To get a higher score? Why not work on a high score for a game that other people actually play?

Multiplayer satisfied me with almost another half hour, forcing me to devote almost an hour and a half towards this, rather untasteful game. It is a lot like Tetris's multiplayer, two screens split apart. One difference is: as one person makes up chains, he/she can switch the screens or make them bigger/smaller... yay.

My recommendation to anyone, even being offered it for a high price of a dollar at a garage sale, is not to waste your money. Don't bother renting it either, unless it is a one night rental because it is maybe possible to get a night's worth of play in. Unless you have this burning desire to watch fireworks and it is not the fourth of July, steer clear of the game. I'm not saying it is not possible to enjoy the game, maybe you will, but I most definitely did not.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 11/20/03