Review by Collider

"Launch Date must have"

Oni was a game that came out on the launch date made to basically show off PS2's power. They did a good job on this. Its long, Its fun, And it keeps you playing. While the cover is really incorrect (Shes holding a ton of guns, You can really only hold 1 at a time), That doesn't matter.

This game was good. It had a in depth plot, In depth characters, Plenty of weapons, Some killer fighting moves, tons of missions, Tons of enemy's, And of course, Lots of civilians to pick on. There are tons of different types of guns, But you can only hold one at a time, But if you get a good one you will most likely hold it till the end. In this game you take control of a cyborg from special forces. You begin out doing missions, But you are quickly turned against by your own organization. Stranded with no place to go, You try to take out the one who has black mailed you. Its a great story line.

Good graphics as far as a launch title goes. There are minor glitches, Great fighting scenes, Some okay movie graphics, and great level design. The graphics for this were basically made to show off the PS2's power, And it did a good job at doing that.

Control: 6/10
I hated the controls, They were some of the hardest controls i have forced my self to get used to. forward is incredibly responsive so when you try to pull off a fighting combo that involves forward, Chances are that you will run past your target and miss the combo. That really sucks when that happens. But once you get used to them and try to avoid combos that involve forward, Then you should be fine.

These sounds were pretty good. The weapons sound realistic and the enemy grunts and groans are done well. Explosions are great. Not much to say about sound.

I give this game an 8/10. It's fun and lasts a while. I sure had fun killing civilians. But the story is also something that should keep you playing. Its story just keeps getting better and bigger with every missions plot twists.

Rent or Buy:
I say buy. If you rent it you probably wont finish it. Its a long, But good game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/23/01, Updated 03/03/02