Review by Locke130

"Great game but has one major flaw..."

When I first sat down and played this game, I was shocked at the confusing and rather hard-to-learn controls. However, once I got used to them, I could not stop playing this game.

Oni is a 3rd person shooter/fighting game developed by Bungie and Rockstar Games (Grand Theft Auto series, Earthworm Jim 3D). You take the place of Konoko, a young TCTF agent just out of training. The weirdest thing about this game is most guns are weaker than a punch or a kick.

-GAMEPLAY (6/10): 1 word, controls. They suck. It took me about 3 days to learn the controls and seeing as how this is a fighting/shooter game, the controls need to be down pat in order to beat the game. Other than that, the difficulty goes from easy to gradually harder. Also, the fun factor is through the roof after you learn the controls!

-STORY (7/10): The story is okay, but it isn't the best story I've ever read. For example, the story to Metal Gear Solid. Overall, the story is good but not great.

-AUDIO/VIDEO (9/10): Smooth graphics, realistic sounds and huge levels to explore. However, there is literally NO music except for a random track here and there but its usually the same. Anyway, the graphics are great and the sound is okay but the music could be better.

-REPLAYABILITY (10/10): After the controls are mastered, you'll play this over and over. More than likely, you'll play this around 3 times before you finally put it away.

-LOADING TIMES (4/10): Whir...whir...snore. Heard these sounds? If you haven't, get ready because these are constant with Oni. The loading times can be quite annoying but at least you can most of the level without it having to load again.

-BUY OR RENT: Seeing as how this game is only $20 new at Gamestop, I'd recommend buying it. If you're one of those people who hate games with hard-to-learn controls, rent this first, but I'd recommend buying it.

-OVERALL (7/10): This is a great game that will keep you entertained for a long time. I'd recommend buying it, but buy Metal Gear Solid 2 first if you don't already have it (its the same type of genre, only better in most qualities). Make sure you have a lot of time if you plan on playing this game, because you're going to need it (with fun factors and loading times that is).

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/10/02, Updated 02/10/02