Review by GeoX_

"Not bad, not bad at all"

When I first played this game at my friend's house, there was one major aspect that was unique. This aspect also bothered me. This aspect was the controls. The left analog stick makes you move forward and backward. It also makes you STRAFE. The right analog stick is the looking stick. When you move it, you look left, right, up, or down. This confused me in a big way. I constantly found myself violently looking everywhere instead of actually moving. However, one thing changed all that, which was the option of changing the controls around. With the controls changed to my liking, the controls earn the ranking of an 8.

CONTROLS:8

The graphics were pretty good. Of course, there are games with better graphics than this, but not many. The reason the graphics didn't get a higher score than I gave it is because they have a bubbley, balloony cartoon look to it. Zone of the Enders and SSX's graphics are extremely sharp, and therefore appear better then TimeSplitters. Because of this, the graphics get and 8 as well.

GRAPHICS:8

Perhaps the thing I like most about Timesplitters is its extreme replayability. The style in which they allow you to play easy, medium, and hard doesn't give the sense that you are starting the game over again, which is nice. Also, you don't have to do the missions in order. If you get stuck on a mission, you can usually choose a different mission to do, which prevents utter boredom, and prevents you from giving up quickly. Aside from story mode, there is also arcade mode and challenge mode. In arcade mode, you can battle with or against your friend, as well as up to seven other computer-player characters. There is a choice of death match, capture the bag, last stand, escort, knock out, and bag tag. As you beat the story and challenge modes, you progressively gain options for the arcade mode (playable characters, computer-controlled characters, levels and cheats.) With all these options, there is no way you can get bored.

REPLAYABILITY:10

The only real problem I have with the game is that there is not enough story line or environment interaction. There is no such thing as an ammo box or clip. Breaking windows and walls with bullet holes is as far as the background interactions get. Also, all the missions are pretty much the same. I only gave replayability a 10 because of its several modes. In every mission, you charge into a base surrounded by guards of some type. After reaching the middle of the level, you pick up an item. You must return that item to the exact place you started the mission. After gaining the item, minions (timesplitters) warp (usually right in front of you) into the level, which increases the difficulty.

I would buy this game if you really like fast paced FPS's. WARNING: this game may be soo fast, that it lacks solidity. I halfly feel this way. If you have some extra cash on hand, buy this game, for it will last you quite some time. I have had this game since christmas. It is now the end of April. I am MAYBE halfway done with the game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/20/01, Updated 04/20/01