Review by LuniNutz

"I played this game until my eyes weren’t functioning right."

TimeSplitters was the first PS2 game I bought. The game looked like it had potential and the rest of the launch titles were seemed really lackluster, so I figured I would try it. First person shooters are definitely not my favorite genre of video games, but they can be extremely fun if made correctly. The fact that my friend also got a PS2 and two controllers that day helped this game immensely.

Gameplay – 8/10 To start off, I must say that this game in incredibly fun, especially if you are playing with a friend. The game’s difficulty is can be overwhelming until you truly master the controls. Many people complain that the controls in this game are completely garbage and I would have agreed with them when I first got it. Getting used to the controls is irritating and can actually give you a headache, but once you get used to it, it is a breeze. (If you want to play first person shooters on the PS2 you should get used to those controls, because they will be used for almost every game). The game really stands out in its multiplayer capability and deathmatches. Imagine playing with 3 of your friends battling it out against each other with about 20 computer bots. That’s amazing! I played this game until my eyes weren’t functioning right. Another awesome function in this game is the ability to create your own level. It takes some practice, but you can really make a multi-level death arena! I gave the gameplay an 8 out of 10, because the game is fun to play, but the controls do take some getting used to.

Story – 5/10 Most first person shooters aren’t graded on their story, and for good reason. The main reason people play this genre of games is for fast paced fun and excitement. The single player game is satisfactory and doesn’t really keep you interested. You travel from time period to time period with no explanation as to why. If you are buying an FPS for its story, try Deus Ex. I gave this game a 5 out of 10 on story because the single player mode will not keep you interested.

Audio/Video – 9/10 The graphics in the game are those that I expected to see on the PS2. This game has awesome lighting and weapon effects. The frames per second is constant and is the fastest first person shooter I’ve ever played on a console. The sound is incredible and you can really get into the killing spree when you turn it up really loud. The only thing that could have been better is the character models, but the game is so fast that once you get close enough to look at them, you’re already dead. I gave the sound/graphics a 9 out of 10 because this games excels in both categories.

Replayability – 7/10 The game is excellent during multiplayer and you will play it over and over again. The single player mode is tough to get through the first time (Not due to difficulty, but because it just isn’t interesting) and I can’t imagine doing it twice. I gave this game a score of 7 out of 10 in the replay section, because once you play this with your friends you won’t stop until you physically have to.

To buy or to rent? – Buy I only say buy this if you have friends that own a PS2 or like FPS’s. This game is definitely worth the money if you play four player, but if you only think you will use it for a party or things like that, then I would recommend renting it.

Overall I give the game an 7/10. The gameplay and graphics make this game, while the single player mode keeps it from being a classic. Either buy it now if you need your fix in FPS’s or wait until the sequel comes out. It’s your choice. I hope this review helped. Enjoy!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/14/01, Updated 08/14/01