Review by Baldo

"A good FPS from the guys that brought you Goldeneye... sort of"

TimeSplitters is one of the best FPS games that I've played for the PS2 to date. It's also made by a faction of the company that made the greatest FPS game ever, Goldenye. Free Radical, made up of former Rareware members, designed TimeSplitters. Despite its rather weak story and single-player mode, TimeSplitters is a very good game, especially if you have some friends who play it with you.

Gameplay - 9/10

Their are three modes of play in TimeSplitters and all of them are really fun to play. The first mode you'll encounter is Story Mode. Story Mode allows one-player to play through three levels at first, but more can be unlocked as you progress. Each level has its own unique objective, but they all revolve around finding something and bringing it somewhere while avoiding and/or killing some enemies. The levels are all fun to play, but once you advance past the ''easy'' difficulty setting, you'll find yourself struggling on the ''normal'' and ''hard'' settings as the game becomes really difficult.

The second mode in the game, Arcade Mode, is where you'll likely derive most of your fun. In Arcade Mode, you can select from a variety of games to play with up to four people and several CPU controlled characters as well. There's the ever popular Deathmatch and my personal favorite, Capture the Bag. There are also some other modes too, but I don't want to spoil them for you. There's also a Map Editor so that you can create your own stages. It's fairly simple to use, but I prefer the pre-made stages to the one's I've created. This is where the game really shines. There's nothing quite as fun as blowing your friend away while he's aimlessly wandering around in one of the many stages and then gloating about it afterward.

The third mode of play is the Challenge Mode. This mode must be unlocked before you can play it. Each challenge involves some weird, random task that you must accomplish in order to complete the stage. All in all, it's mildly entertaining, but I much prefer Story and Arcade mode.

The controls in TimeSplitters are nothing short of pure genius. First off, you only use the two analog sticks to maneuver. The left one is forward, backward, and side-to-side motion and the right one controls where your character is facing. The top buttons are how you fire your weapons and aim and the D-pad is used to select weapons. This may seem like an odd and ridiculous setup, but believe me, after you acclimate yourself to it, you'll wonder how you ever played and FPS game without it.

Story - 6/10

This is where the game loses its touch. The story is really vague, but from what I gathered, it goes something like this: there's an evil race called the TimeSplitters who journey back and forth in time to destroy humanity and you must stop them by venturing into different places in different times. This game doesn't really need a good story anyway though.

Graphics/Visual Effects - 9/10

TimeSplitters has some really great graphics and the 60 frames per second frame rate is completely mind-blowing because it provides such fast-paced action. Some complain because the human characters appear anorexic, but I think that the thin character models look rather cool. The levels are all beautifully designed as well.

Audio - 9/10

The sounds that each gun makes are all distinctly different and very well rendered. The in-stage music is also really good. Some of the stages have some really crazy music, but it all seems to fit together somehow.

Replay Value - 10/10

Whether it's unlocking the secrets or playing Arcade Mode with your friends, you'll want to play TimeSplitters over and over and over again. It's just that good of a game.

To Be or Not to Be?

If your a fan of FPS games, definitely find this game and buy it as it's one of the best games out there for PS2 and it's only $19.99 new, or at least that's what I paid for it last week. Even if you aren't a big fan of FPS games, but you like Goldeneye, you'll definitely like TimeSplitters too since its made by essentially the same people.

Overall - 9/10

One of the best, if not the best, FPS for PS2. A must-play for any FPS fan. Three cheers for Free Radical!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/13/02, Updated 06/13/02