Review by Arschrammen

"Red Faction: Does it contain secret communist messages or is it just an average game?"

The last first person shooter I'd played prior to Red Faction (sadly) was Duke Nukem 3D on PC, which was a game I loved. I hadn't played a shooter for ages and thought that perhaps Red Faction would be a a good place to start. I looked forward to enjoying the advanced features that new gaming technology had to offer and all the critics couldn't be wrong, right?

STORY. 6/10
Not too bad an idea. A big mining corporation, Ultor, recruits workers by promising them their fortune. But they lied. The Ultor corporation exploits the workers, beating anyone who stands out of line. So a resistance group is formed. One day while your character is working, he witnesses a fellow miner get brutally bashed by a soldier. This is the trigger, and the revolution begins.

GAMEPLAY. 3/10
Unlike some other First Person Shooters, you can swim and drive vehicles. However these moments are suprisingly dull, and feel like they're just there for the sake of being able to put "run/swim/drive FOR SURVIVAL!!" on the back cover.

There are a wide variety of weapons to choose from, the most impressive for me being the rail driver which has a heat sensing scope and can shoot through walls. The remote mines also prove to be a lot of fun, especially when you attach them to medics only to see them running off into the distance, screaming, then explode as you press the detonation button. I laughed so hard at this, and it was probably the only fun thing this game had to offer.

The back of the game cover says there are over 40 levels to play, but what it fails to mention is that these levels take anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes to complete. And in between "levels" (which are pretty much just checkpoints) you are forced to endure elongated loading times. This greatly destroys the flow of the game.

Red Faction also boasts a new "Geo-Mod Technology" system in which environments can be destroyed, but this is just a tag for "you can blow a hole in some walls, and sometimes your explosions leave small dents in the walls." It's not a feature, just another line on the back of the box to make this game sound better than it actually is.

The game's environments are very dull and monotone and the levels are designed in a very linear fasion such that there really isn't much exploring to do like in some of the first person classics such as Doom. In this game its pretty much just going from point A to B in a reasonably straight line, then do it all over again. Thus, fairly uninspiring.

GRAPHICS. 8.5/10
The graphics themselves are very nice, but not a lot is done with them. The environments are repetitive and dull, and are quite simply boring. There are a couple of cut scenes but they're nothing to lube up about.

CONTROLS 9/10
The controls are actually really good, and probably a standout feature of the game. The analog sticks control movement, while the left and right directional buttons scroll through your weapons thus allowing fairly fast weapon changes, for a console at least anyway.

SOUND. 8/10
Pretty basic sounds, with annoying music. Some yelling from the guards is cool, and characters talk to you. Sometimes youll get an engineer who will get tough with you and say "you don't frighten me" or something like that, but when you pull your gun on him he dumps a load in his pants. At this point you shoot him and laugh. Which reminds me, the screams of the dying are pretty cool too. The voice acting is among the best in a game I've played on PS2 so far.

VALUE. 3/10
I played through this game once. It was boring and didn't take too long. I can not see myself playing through it again. Ever. The multiplayer option was pretty good, allowing up to four players to massacre each other at once. However, if you want a multiplayer shooter, get Timesplitters. Leave Red Faction well alone unless you are a big fan of first person shooters.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 01/17/07