Review by AardvarkLord

"A look back at an early FPS for the PS2"

After pondering for much time, I have finally decided to write a game review. I was then left with the decision on what game to write the review on. After looking over my collection of games I came across a title that I had not played in a long time. This game was Red Faction. I then played the game over again for this review.

Graphics 8/10
While the graphics for its time were excellant, they have a slightly aged appearance. They are by not means bad, but one can tell that they are not quite up to par with today's standards. The textures have a gritty feel that one would righty expect in a martian mining facility. The craters left in walls by explosians need a little work in my opinion. They all are the same greyish hue, and for some reason seem to be lacking. That is a minor gripe considering how much fun it is to blow up walls. People's faces also appear somewhat blocky, but it is not all that bad. Overall the graphics are superb for its time period, but not quite up to what one would expect nowadays.

Gameplay 9/10
The gameplay in Red Faction is very similar to, what are in my opinion, the greatest FPS games ever. Those being Perfect Dark and Goldeneye. It creates an atmosphere that gave me a bit of nostalgia for the good old N64. As in those games, you gun down many enemies, but will die quickly if you do not think through your attack. Running and gunning works on easy mode, but the later modes involve a bit more tact. There are no checkpoints in this game, so it is imperative to save often. I generally save after each load screen. The load screens in this game pop up in unexpected places sometimes, but you don't wait very long at all.

Sound 8/10
This game features very well done explosive sounds and screaming from the enemies. It truly does add to the gaming expierience, and if not done right can really hurt a game. Luckily this game pulls it off nicely and with style. One gripe is that the enemies don't vary what they yell at you. They have a few different phrases to yell, but with the amount of enemies you would encounter, it gets repetitive swiftly. The music, although barely audible, matches the level and does add to the game. The voice acting is sort of a mixed bag as it is done well in some places and not so well in others. A couple characters sounded almost too identical to each other, which resulted in me looking at the dialog box to identify the speaker.

Controls 8/10
The controls do work well, and are workable. I have read many reviews where people say that they have trouble with the controls, but I found that not to be the case. One annoyance is how you toggle weapons. You hit the toggle button and then hit the trigger to select the weapon. This often messed me up in situation where a quick change of gun is needed, but I have to scroll through the inventory to find the right one, without being able to shoot back.

Story 7/10
The story in Red Faction is okay, but it is not final fantasy. There are a couple of cutscenes throughout the game, but most of the story is revieled through dialogue. The story very simple, so don't expect plot twists or the such. It is not bad, but it does leave a lot to be desired. You don't get any real introduction to the bad guys other than they are the enemy, so they should be killed.

Replay value 8/10
This game features a few difficulty levels and contains many rooms and areas to explore. There are some really cool areas that most people miss on the first play through, but are cool enough to warrent a replay or two. After beating it twice, I really felt no overwhelming desire to play it through again. For hardcore gamers, the higher level difficultity modes are very challenging and should keep you occupied for a couple of weeks.

Rent or Buy?
I would recommend buying this game if you can find it used because I doubt you would be able to beat this in one rental. I found it used for about $9, and it is more than worth the money.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/25/07