Review by wolverinefan

"The start of something grand"

Story Mars in the near future. Mars is the planet of opportunity, its mineral wealth feeding the insatiable needs of Earth, a planet stripped of raw materials and minerals. Ultor Corporation, aptly named after the ancient Roman temple dedicated to Mars the god of war, owns all the mining rights on the planet. The company is an expert at maximizing costs. Fortunes are made as cargo ship after cargo ship return to Earth filled with precious Noachite. Mine workers, misled by promises of adventure and easy money, arrive on Mars by the shuttle load. Few ever make it back to Earth. Conditions in the Ultor mines are brutal. The work is dangerous and the miners' living quarters are disgusting. Environmental suits and bunks are shared between miners on different shifts. Food is lousy and in short supply. And beating from Ultor guards are commonplace. Worst of all, a mysterious, disfiguring Plague is running rampant through the mines. As the death toll rises and Ultor remains complacent, the miners' fear and discontent grows. Pamphlets and posters from an underground organization begin showing up all over the mining complex. Signed by the mysterious Eos, the pamphlets tell of bizarre deaths and missing comrades and urge the miners to take action against Ultor. Tensions run high. The miners are wired like a powder keg. All it will take is a spark... During a shift change, a young miner is brutally assaulted by an Ultor guard. Another miner, Parker, witnesses the brutality and is quickly caught up in the chaos. He has no choice. Kill or be killed. A rebellion explodes across Mars. Can you live long enough to become a hero? The story sounds really cool but it isn't. The game never focuses on the story. I wish the story was better and that they focused on it. I give story a 7/10

Control
The controls that are set take a while to get use to. After 4 hours of play I still sometimes push a wrong button. I don't really like th controls the game sets so I used the fourth or fifth setting which makes it a little easier. The control configurations couldn't be better but aiming seems a little weird. Sadly there is some delays in button actions, like, in multi-player when you die you have to hit the shoot button but you have to hit it a few time to get it to work. I give control a 7/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
The voice acting is good but the voices just don't seem to fit the characters. Sound effects are great, each gun sounds different but it does have a couple small flaws, like, when someone dies in multi-player there scream comes after they have respawned another flaw is hitting different types of objects with a rocket launcher all sound the same. The music is on the bad side but there is one song that is great and sets a great mood for multi-player. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 6/10

Game Play
This is where the game shines but also fails. The game uses Geo-mod a new type of program that lets you blow everything up but everything can't be blown up. Anything metal can't be blown up and big rocks can't be blown up. They even stick metal floors under the normal floors so you can blow it up any further. The AI in the single player mode is just sad, you can just stand there and the bullets will land all around you but not hit you. The AI for the bots in multi-player is different, the bots are really good and put up a good fight. The biggest problem with the game is the load times, there must be five loading screens in each stage and they each take about two minutes. This makes the game a lot less fun. It's way to hard to tell when you enter a new level cause it doesn't say, it just keeps going. There is a nice amount of weapons. I give game play a 5/10

Replay Value
The game is short and there are no secrets to unlock. Multi-player is fun but there isn't a lot of maps and only a few are really fun. I wish there was more to do in the game like trying to unlock secrets and more maps and maybe more then one multi-player mode. I give replay value a 5/10

Final Score
I give Red Faction a 7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/07

Game Release: Red Faction (US, 05/21/01)