Review by Robot

"Great, for about an hour at a time..."

Now, this game was dang close to being perfect, there was just something missing. When I first got the game, I played for hours at a time...at least in the multiplayer mode. I found the story mode a little hard to get into, but don't get me wrong. It's all good! Here, I'll break it down:

Sound/Music - 4 out of 5
The music works well with the game. It's fast and furious. The sound effects and ambience is great! The guns actually sound powerful, and you can really hear the carnage during a multiplayer match. The reason that I didn't give the sound a perfect score is because the music can get somewhat redundant after awhile.

Graphics - 5 out of 5
The graphics are very impressive, especially when you think about how much detail there is in the other aspects of the game. The guns look and act as if they were real, and it runs at a solid framerate. I only noticed a few hiccups during two player games when someone either dies or is blowing everything up! Oh, and another thing...unfortunately, the geo-mod's memory runs out. You don't really notice during heated battles, so it's not too bad.

Innovation - 5 out of 5
The story and gameplay aren't really too innovative, but the geo-mod just opens up a whole new world. I'm always finding something new. What else is there to say?

Controls - 3 out of 5
They really aren't too bad, they just take some getting used to. If you played Unreal Tournament or Quake at all, it's not bad at all. They don't offer very much customization of your controls, though. Keyboard and mouse support would be a major plus.

Overall Fun-ness - 4 out of 5
This is a great game overall. I could play the multiplayer mode for hours on end, but I couldn't take too much of the solo mode in one sitting. The geo-mod allows for some awesome strategy. The bots sometimes seem way too smart, however. I could be hiding in a crater in the wall, and a bot will come strafing by and pick me off with one shot...that doesn't seem very fair! Anyway, if you're an FPS fan, you probably already own this. But if you are interested even in the slightest, you should buy this. I sold Unreal Tournament to buy it!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/17/01, Updated 06/17/01