Review by andyrose2000

"Red Faction is family fun for everyone!"

Everyone's heard of Red Faction for the Playstation 2. ''It's that game where you blow **** up!''. Dern tootin you can blow **** up, you can blow EVERYTHING up, more or less! I've rented this game, and forthcoming are my views on this interesting FPS from Volition.
Graphics: Sharp and clean. I can't recall being disappointed with the graphics once. When you get up close and personal with a person, there is no fuzziness or blurriness. The explosions in the game are quite intense, if you have a huge TV with surround sound, you'll pee your pants. Besides that, the environments are VERY nice, large enough so that you won't get cramped, not so large as to let you get lost.
Sound: One of only 3 possible downsides to this game is the annoying banter by the enemies. ''I'm gonna kill you, miner!'', and ''Don't shoot me!!!''. Although I won't lie, there are some GREAT voices, too. HINT: Strap an explosive charge to a civilian's back. DO IT. If you play this game, you have to do this. Trust me on it. It will be the funniest thing you've ever seen in a videogame. The sound effects of the weaponry are top-notch, I think they actually recorded real guns for the SEffects. The music is pretty good all around, and actually changes to set the mood.
Gameplay: The ''Geo-Mod'' system is the reason behind this game's hype. Basically, the game allows you to 'blow your environment up'. If you shoot a rocket into a cave wall, it will make a hole. If there's a room behind that cave wall, you can go into it through the hole. Sounds cool, huh? Well, it is. You can blow up bridges to stop enemies from following you, you can blow up ceilings above enemies to kill them, etc. The game engine is also quite good. The controls are reminiscent of TIMESPLITTERS(one of my fav games), meaning you move around using the 2 analog sticks of the dual shock 2. Most guns have auto-aim, which makes things a lot easier when it comes to blowing people away. The story is pretty driven, you always have some task to perform to move the story along.
Value: Although I love the game to death, I'd recommend RENTING IT. Why? For one, the deathmatch feature is pretty lame. There is no map, and it's only 2 players. Second? The ending leaves a lot to be desired. That's not to say the game isn't fun, because it is. Third? There really isn't that much replay value as I've found. I'd like to be able to unlock some new weapons, or an invincibility mode. If you can find it for under $40, though, I'd say go for it.

Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 8. Gameplay: 9.0 Value: 8.5 TOTAL SCORE:8.5