Review by Rastadawg

"Brilliant new Idea, but does it match the hype?"

Red Faction, when I first heard about it, I couldn't wait to go out and buy it. Then I come home and have that red glow from the TV on my face for countless hours. After playing through the game a couple of times, I've decided to say what I thought.

Story - 7

Angry miners from Mars rebeling against their tyrant of an employer, causing violence, chaos, and blood the fly everywhere, how cool is that?

The story of Red Faction is nicely put together from Parker's perspective. Altough it gets an 7 because of the unoriginality of it. Since I've been playing 1st person shooters, like Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein 3-d, Duke Nukem... it's always been ''your the last man left to fight'' kind of thing. True, you have all of those miner friends to help you, but when you encounter them, they don't last long (more on that later).

Graphics - 10

Geez, beautiful, what can I say. The walls and skins are well detailed, the guns look awesome, especially that rail driver. The shots from the hover craft vehicle are great. The health and ammo HUD has no problems.

Sound - 9

From the guards yelling at you to the gun fire, it's all good. The sounds of Hendrix contacting you make me sound like I'm more there, helping you get into the game. The reason I give it a 9 is because hearing the guards yell at you over and over the same damn thing gets old.

Control - 7

The control takes a while to get used to, and (accurate) jumping is more of a pain in the ass then helpful. It would of been alot better if THQ added keyboard support. But after painfully getting shot up several times, you'll find yourself strafing and shooting in no time.

Gameplay (Single) - 9

From start to finish, there is always a guard around the corner, a wall to blow up, a vehicle to joyride in. It's awesome. It's not completely stategic, but you can't just go around using the rocket launcher all day, allthough blowing a hole behind your enemies to sneak attack them is one of the funniest things to do.

Gameplay (Multi) - 6

The multiplayer was a huge let-down for me. You have all the guns and stuff like in the normal game, but you die really fast, and the levels are kinda too complex for enjoyment, not to mention the bots suck.

Overall - 8

Not perfect, but a great game. I recommend renting before buying, to see if it is for you.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/03/01, Updated 08/03/01