Review by Garrett2090

"Golden Who?"

The story of Red Faction is that you are Parker a young miner. You came to mars to get a hold on your life, and to get your head cleared. So you joined Ultor a huge mining company. You couldn't have picked a worse time to be on mars. After a few days being on mars you realize ''Hey mars sucks more then a $20.00 hooker''. The living conditions are horrible, you get beaten, talked down too, stuffed into a hot sweaty bio suit got hours upon hours, you never sleep, the food is crap, work non-stop drilling rocks and I'm sure it must smell oh and to make things even better there's a mysterious virus going around killing miners. Just great, lets take a break from our life to work here, good idea.

Ultor, doesn't seem to care what's happening to you or your fellow miners. Picture Mr. Burns from the Simpsons but 10x worse and with more firepower And soon yes you've guessed it, a revolution has begun and you find yourself smack dab in the middle of it.

Red Faction is more of a mission based game then multiplayer, much like Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. Even though GE and PD were great multiplayer games. You get allot of like Com chat and missions to do, such as open this switch, find this guy, kill this guy, get this key card, your basic mars miner revolution type stuff. Sure you could try playing Multiplayer but you will find its pretty weak, now some people may like it, but I find if you're looking for an action packed multiplayer shooter game look to games like UT and QIII, so if you're just gonna buy or rent this game cause you think its a shooter DON'T! Although like I said before if you like more mission based levels well then dis den be your damn den game.

The story is pretty good at the start, but as you go through the game you will notice small story gaps, like a character will just come walking into the game and start talking to you like you've known him your entire life, while in fact you(the gamer not the character) have no clue what so ever what happens. And this doesn't mix with random cut scenes that just seem to pop out of no where. Trust me when you first meet Capek, Ultors Chief Scientist, you'll just be walking into a empty room then out of thin air a cut scene opens up and Capek starts talking to you right away. Its nothing huge, you still get the general gist of the story, but it's just one of those little annoying things, where you think you've missed something.

One of the coolest things about this game is the Geo Mod Technology it uses. You can blast through, down and destroy in real time just about anything you see, this is cool for finding shortcuts and hidden areas. It's so awesome when you use the gun Rail Driver that has heat vision and spot guys behind a walk, then you make use of the grenades, or rocket launcher or even a remote charge and knock the wall down, pull out your machine gun and blast the Ultor bastards to death, or you can use my weapon of choice then Flamethrower.

Speaking of the weapons Red Faction has a nice selection of weapons, Machine guns, Submachine Guns, Rocket Launchers, 12 MM pistols, Shotguns, Rifles, Flamethrowers, Grenades, Remote Charges, Sniper Rifles, Control Batons and even a Riot Shield for blocking enemy bullets, plus many many more. The only bad thing about the weapons is that you have no default weapon, like something that is on you all the time and doesn't run out of ammo, some missions will make you leave all your weapons behind but you get like 1 silenced pistol with 10 bullets and if you get caught under fire and use all your shots well, you're pretty much screwed. You can't even use your damn fists in the heat of battle, wtf is up with that.

The graphics in Red Faction are very nicely done, nothing perfect but still really cool. The levels are solid look and so are the characters, although with some flaws but hey lets face it, nothing is perfect. The game keeps a nice frame rate due to the lack of super graphics and the fact that you won't be bombarded with hordes of enemies. Minute detail problems such as when your looking at yourself in a mirror, lol, it looks like your looking at an old Duke Nukem game, nothing like what your character is supposed to look like, and you can't even see a body if you're holding one, what's the point of carrying around a body if you can't even look at yourself lifting it.

Another cool thing in this game are the variety of vehicles you're gonna get to drive around in. Jeeps, Mini-Subs, APCs, and 1 man battle planes. You will also get to man a turret on the back of a jeep with your fellow miner drives you along this path, how cool is that. But driving around in the sub is the best, fighting other subs, see monsters or just blowing up innocent fish it don't get much better. It can be a bit hard to handle the subs and planes, but it won't take you long to get a handle of it and start blasting away the enemy with great ease.

While we are on the subject of controls, this game has some pretty nice controls, as long as you don't wanna use a mouse and keyboard. Why the hell wouldn't they make so you can use a mouse and keyboard, what's the point of having a USB port for if they aren't gonna make usage of it. They do however have lots of control options but still when you're using the sub or facing a boss it gets pretty frustrating not being able to use your mouse and keyboard. They did employ a auto-aim, but to me that takes some of the fun out of it, I like to shoot people in the head or crotch(I know I'm seeing a shrink about it) but its basically impossible to do it, unless you use a sniper rifle and you don't get to many opportunities too.

The Pleasant & The Unpleasant:

Graphics: 8.5/10
Sound: 7.5/10
Control: 8/10
Replay Value: 7/10

So in the end I found Red Faction to be a pretty damn fun game, the graphics, the weapons and that new kick ass Geo Mod Technology really made this game shine. Even if the constant and poor located load times occur allot. They should have made it so when those stupid little load times pop up it could maybe AUTO SAVE like in Half-Life or something. God sometimes I don't know why I even bother **hmph**......... Any ways, if you liked Golden Eye, Perfect Dark or yes even Half-Life I suggest you go out and pick this game up, but if Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament are more of your cup of tea, don't bother with this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/09/01, Updated 10/09/01