Review by Zidane04

"Good, but a tad repetitve"

At first, you pick up this game, buy it then put it in your PS2 and are instantly drawn in by the beautiful graphics, stunning soundtrack, and excellent gameplay. You complete the first 3 missions and then find mission 4 is...... exactly the same as missions 1 2 and 3. Never mind, see it thru to the end. And then, you have to play it all thru again as cao cao. Nevertheless, it's still a brilliant game and has given me a headache on many an occasion. I am actually quite a big fan of the ROtK series and was quite excited when i heard that there was to be a sequel to the dissapointing Kessen based on the series. But then i realised that the game was not as good as it was cracked up to be. The last few missions (Wu Chang... Wei-Shu Conflict...) are RIDICULOUSLY hard when played in difficult mode.
BUT, like i said before, it is brilliant game that kept me occupied for about a week and is worth buying, especially as i can buy it at my local shop for about £14. (I think thats about $20)

Graphics 11/10
Beautifully rendered environments and you can get right into a battle, you can actually feel whats going on around you. Graphics are kept up everywhere, you can even watch two other units duking it out with each other while watching from another unit.

Soundtrack infinty/10
Brilliant, C'est Magnifique, Sehr Gut, however you put it, i find the soundtrack breathtaking. There is all sorts of majestic fanfares, battlecrys and fight musics. It all sounds so regal

Gameplay 6/10
Well, something had to let it down, and it had to be the crucial part. The gameplay is good at first, until you have played it to death for a day, and then think, didn't i do this 10 minutes ago? But despite this, i always seem to see some sort of new cutscene, find new strategies every time i replay the game, so u can play it over and over again.

Longetivity 7/10
In my opinion? If you are a fan of the series, then it will last you a good fortnight, but if you bought it on a whim, you probably won't last 3 days. It's a harsh, but thats life.

I personally feel that KOEI could have put more into the gameplay part, rather than the aesthetical (sp?) part of the game. Overall, a middle-class game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/19/03, Updated 02/19/03