Review by licken33

"Devil May Cry: Capcom's finest hour"

I have to say that this is by far one of the best PS2 games to come out so far.

The graphics were spectacular and refreshing. I was glad to notice that no two areas were completely alike, each had its own unique feel and theme. The enemies were well detailed and a challenge to defeat. And I was glad to notice that most of the game seem to run at a constant 60fps. The character (and monster) movements were extremely fluid, and overall added to the excitement of the game.

I personally feel that the gameplay was one of the most unique and entertaining in the genre. I am glad that Capcom decided to switch the more Resident Evil like engine to a mission based one (even though at first I thought that was a turn for the worst). The controls were easy to catch on to but still left a challenge to master. And the way you leveled up your weapons and skills by collecting red orbs was great. I wasn't even disappointed when I found out you could not go into demon mode while using the Sparda. That left more of a challenge to the game. Even though the bosses were extremely tough, they were not impossible to defeat and it made you think more on strategy and not just button pushing.

While it was an extremely good story for a game of that genre, I have to admit that the story could of been more clearer. I feel that the game kinda jumped straight into the game, straight from the fight scene in his office (which was extremely ''cool'') straight to the castle. Other than that I have no complaints if you can really call those complaints.

Main Character: 10/10

I like his attitude. And he has made it to my top 10 best characters list. A very reserved and aristocratic ''club''. Sorry Squall, Dante pushed you out the way.

Monsters: 10/10

Even though there wasn't exactly a abundance of different types of monsters to obliterate, I was greatly impressed With the ones that Capcom had in the game, They showed that Capcom actually spent time and effort to make the monsters they did have in the game extremely detailed and challenging,I even found some of the normal monsters to be more difficult then the bosses (Shadow, Death scythe). As for the bosses, I was kinda surprised by the number of times you had to fight each one(Almost every boss you fight at least twice.). While this fact might have caused me to lower my rating for some games, I feel that Capcom did a good job in changing the creatures fighting style each time you fight them. For example: some people may notice that the first time you fight Nelo Angelo he is more on the defensive, while the second time you fought him he seemed to be on a full on offensive teleporting toward you instead of away from you. It is because of these changes that i did not lower my rating of the game.

In Conclusion

In conclusion I have to declare capcom the king of the Action/horror genre. They totally dominated with their Resident Evil franchise, and Onimusha Warlords, now add Devil May Cry to the list. I have to say their works in this genre is slowly but surely passing up their fighting game genre. Well, only time will tell as that Capcom vs, SNK 2 is coming out next month

The End....