Review by Shadowstar777

"Two steps forward, one step back. . ."

Devil May Cry, the latest Action platformer from Capcom is a brilliant (if a bit dissappointing) game from the people who brought you Resident Evil. In fact, DMC was originally going to be Resident Evil 4! But the design team decided to take it a radically new direction, and the result is one of the most satisfying and addicting games I've seen in years.

GAMEPLAY
Of course, this is what every game comes down to. The gameplay is the core, the music, story, and graphics are just the decorations. Fortunately, DMC is extremely strong in this category. With four different melee weapons and about six long range weapons, not to mention dozens of combos and special attacks, this game is a blast. The control scheme is nothing like Resident Evil (a relief) you can jump, double jump off of walls and enemies and tempoariliy levitate whil you fire your guns rapidly at the enemies below! The seamless combination of sword (or gauntlet) and gun is innovative and fun. Kudos, Capcom. This game rocks.

10/10

SOUND/MUSIC
The music in this game is good and fits the mood, and when you get into a fight there is a sort of rock theme that plays in the background. My favorite theme is the one that always plays when you fight Nelo Angelo, it's really awesome. The sound effects are also great! The guns sound like guns and the monsters roar realisically. However, there is the problem of voices. While some characters are pretty well voiced (Dante, Trish, Mundus) the Phantom and Griffin are awlful! Luckily though there is a subtitle option. Then there are the parts where the music is so loud you can't hear what the characters are saying! Although I haven't checked it out personally, I believe there is an option to turn the BGM down and the SFX up.

9/10

GRAPHICS
Finally, a game that tests the PS2's capabilities. I don't really know what to say, DMC's graphics are simply among the best on the system. Not quite up to par with ICO, but pretty darn close!

10/10

STORY
You, Dante, son of the Demon Knight Sparda must. . . SAVE THE WORLD!!!!! Cheesy acting, cheesy dialogue, cheesy story in general. To it's credit, it does have at least one REALLY COOL twist (maybe not exactly a twist. . .) that made me say ''Woooowww.'' Otherwise, this is a very dissappointing aspect of the game considering Capcom's legacy for telling good stories (Resident Evil is a good example).

4/10

REPLAY
Because this game is so darn short you will probably be replaying it a few times. On normal mode the game should take you about 10-15 hours (i beat it in 8, though). Each mission gives you a rating, so you may want to replay every mission to try and achieve the 'S' ranking. Also, there are many secret missions that you might want to check out. Also, there's the hard mode and Dante must die mode to look forward to after your first game. Replay is good.

8/10

BUY OR RENT?
Depends, I guess. You could beat this game in one rental period, but I found myself replaying all the bosses (they are challenging and fun) and just looking for Blue Orb Fragments and secret missions I hadn't found before. I bought it and don't regret it. For those of you dissappointed with Onimusha's length, fear not, this game is well worth the purchase where the former is not. I bought, but you might not.

OVERALL
I have been waiting for this game ever since I played the demo, and I am only mildly dissappointed. The story sucked, which is too bad, but knocking monsters up in the air and unloading my pistols into them never gets old.

8/10